Tuesday, December 14, 2010

FRUIT SALAD


Well, I’m so bedeviled and bemused with everything around here that this evening I trimmed the Aladdin lamp on the library table [in the living room], then finding no matches on the mantel went to the kitchen, took one, lit it, and carried it carefully back to the living room. When I came to, I was so tickled over my own foolishness that I nearly blew out the lamp. I was laughing and I get silly every time I think of it. I mean all this Xmas packing, sorting, carding, lettering, mailing, etc., etc. Ina Dobson, 12-19-35

I thought maybe we could use a break from all the super sweet stuff. Here's the recipe for "Joni's Fruit Salad," which she brought to the Christmas Eve Buffet for many years.
JONI'S FRUIT SALAD
pineapple chunks
bananas
strawberries (fresh), optional
mandarin oranges
Drain pineapple and mandarin oranges. To the juice, add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1 beaten egg, and 1 T cornstarch. Cook 'til thickened. Add 1 Tbsp butter. Cool before dressing the fruit.

Mother loved fruit salad, but it bothered her that this dressing contained an egg. So, she developed the following fruit salad dressing:

DOROTHY'S FRUIT SALAD DRESSING
1/2 cup sugar
1 T cornstarch (or 2 T flour)
1 T butter
1 1/2 T lemon juice
3/4 cup pineapple juice (boiling)
Mix sugar and cornstarch. Add juice gradually, stirring constantly. Boil slowly 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add butter.

Here's another unsigned, probably un-used Christmas card from my dad's box. I think back in the day cards were more readily available in assortments. Sending cards was a thoughtful process of choosing the right card for the right people. KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

That would have been a good card for me! I love the little puppy dog. Is the corner made to be torn like that because the doggy carried it? Why was Grandma Ina so tickled? Did she find the matches hidden in the mess?

Kathy said...

I thought you would like this card with its cute little puppy. I don't know if he's supposed to have torn the corner.

Instead of taking the match to the lantern in the living room and lighting it there, she lit the match in the kitchen and carried it to the lamp as it burned. Must have been a better match than we have today. I can scarcely light a candle before mine burn my fingers.

Chris said...

Thanks for sorting the match story out for me, too. Must have been a wooden match. :-)

I, too, like the card. And I do remember buying assorted cards in the box when we were first married and deciding who would get which card. It was fun.

The salad sounds yummy.

Leah said...

If the card design inferred that the dog chewed on it, you could say, "My dog ate your Christmas card." I love Ina's comments. She was so comfortable with herself that she didn't mind telling someone about silly things that she did. Who doesn't get absent minded during the holidays with all we have to do?