Saturday, December 4, 2010

"FRUITCAKE SQUARES"

I’ll never forget one Christmas in old Iowa [c. 1875] when all our little Ma had for her expectant brood was a 10-cent package of candy divided between and given out wrapped up in newspaper. We sat on Pa’s toolchest like so many hungry crows and I tried not to see “the hurt” in Ma’s face and to keep out of my own all I could for her sake, too. I think I was 11 years old. But do as we could it was not Christmas, but God put it into the heart of Charley Wiley to “save the day” by slipping in on us with a big breezy “Merry Christmas” and giving me that wonderful candy apple and something in candy of smaller fruit to you girls, too. My, didn’t our spirits come up, tho and the happy relieved look on Ma’s face alone would have repaid him did he only know the whole circumstance. (Silly ain’t I but I’m crying). Ida Jane Dickson Patchen, March 5, 1922

Back in the day, Mother and I found lots of inspiration in magazines published at holiday time. Some were special issue compilations of holiday ideas while others were simply December issues of familiar publications. We watched for them in the fall, and probably added about six magazines a year to the collection. Some years ago I pared the collection to "the best of the best," and I still find it inspirational to review those vintage issues. It seemed like a magic time. Mother and I agreed it just wasn't the same after I grew up. Neither she nor I continued the tradition.  

Mother found this recipe for "fruitcake squares" in a holiday magazine published by Farm Journal in 1968. It's reminiscent of the "seven layer" or "Hello Dolly" bars. I make at least one pan every Christmas.


FRUITCAKE SQUARES

6 tbsp butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
1 cup shredded coconut
2 cups cut-up mixed candied fruit
1 cup dates
1 cup nuts, coarsely chopped
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk

Melt butter in jelly roll pan. sprinkle on crumbs (tap sides of the pan to distribute crumbs evenly). Sprinkle on coconut. Distribute candied fruit as evenly as possible over coconut.

Cut dates into a small amount of flour so they won't stick together. Distribute dates over candied fruit. (I usually buy whole dates and just distribute as I slice them.)

Sprinkle on nuts. Press mixture lightly with hands to level it in pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over top.

Bake in moderate oven (350) 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely before cutting. Remove from pan.

I vary the fruit somewhat, using fruitcake mix, candied cherries, dates, and golden raisins.

[This card from my dad's collection was evidently unused. The gold in the church windows is a piece of foil set behind the picture, giving this simple card some depth.

These days many people have eliminated their close friends and neighbors from their Christmas card lists, but this was not the case when I was growing up. We exchanged cards freely. And, in my town at any rate, you could simply address the envelope by writing the recipients name and the word "City." Return address labels, now sent to us so freely by every organization with a cause whether we like it or not, were unheard of. You either wrote your return address on the envelope or you didn't, but if you didn't and you forgot to sign the card, the recipient might not know who sent it.]  KW

9 comments:

Hallie said...

Aren't these cards great? So glad you saved them. I especially liked this quote. Some of the writing in the letters or cards is so thoughtful and eloquent. It doesn't seem often that people write in that way. We're too busy rushing around, I guess.

Did the mail man in Orofino go door-to-door or did everyone have to go to the post office? I remember staying with Grandma for a few days and it seems like we walked down to the post office.

Chris said...

that quote made me teary, too! How wonderful to have that family memory written down and in a family member's handwriting.

This recipe sounds interesting. I haven't made the 7-layer bars in years, but this just might be the Christmas!

Lovely card. Which reminds me that I need to get busy on ours. Buy or make? Hmmm, I'd better decide quickly.

Kathy said...

Our culture has changed so much.

We never had mail delivery in Orofino. I don't know why. It was rumored that we were too small to qualify. At one time they said door-to-door delivery was coming and we all had to show our support by putting up mailboxes. My parents attached a classy black number to the front porch while my grandfather had a slot cut in his front door. I suppose that could have been a hoax. We still didn't get mail delivery. So, yes, Orofino-ans must pick up their mail at the post office, creating traffic congestion.

Chris said...

Here's a strange story about Orofino and the mail. Several years ago, because Orofino doesn't have door-to-door delivery, it was decided that people who lived within a certain radius of the Post Office would get free mailboxes. And get this, my parents live outside the radius and have to pay!! And of course, people on the rural routes get free delivery. How crazy is that? A few have to pay and everyone else gets free mail delivery. Dad went to talk to the postmaster about it, but was told he could do nothing about it. Sheesh!

Kathy said...

I bought some cards yesterday.

Ida Jane was born in 1864 and was 4 and 6 years older than Bertha and Ina. Being older, she remembered more about the growing up years, the trip west, etc., and Ina and Bertha would question her from time to time.

And those for whom walking to the post office is most convenient are the ones who don't have to pay. That's really unfair. And these things have gone on since forever in Orofino.

Unknown said...

Ooh! Ida Jane's story of Christmas ca. 1875 is so touching. You do know that Charley Wiley was the husband of Julian Dobson's sister, Julia. She was one of the twins. Charlie was born Feb 1854. They were married in 14 Apr 1886 in Denison, Iowa. They moved to Orofino as you know.

Kathy said...

So, Leah -- The Dicksons and the Dobsons must have known one another in the midwest -- or at least it would seem they had friends in common. After Christmas, I'll see what I can find on that.

Unknown said...

John & Lucy Dobson's 10 children were all born in Deloit, Crawford County, Iowa from 1856 to 1876. Lafayette & Lucy Dickson's 6 were born: 3 in Illinois, 2 in Westside, Crawford County, Iowa and 1 in Oregon from 1864 to 1883. Living in Crawford County Iowa for about 10 years, the Dickson's surely knew the Dobsons.

Kathy said...

As I recall -- and sometimes my "recaller" isn't the best -- Ina never says how it is that she became acquainted with the Dobson twins. They just sort of show up in Lakeview, Oregon, about the time she's 13 or so. But you're right that they would have known one another in Crawford County.