Thursday, December 30, 2010

THE HOLIDAYS FADED AWAY GRADUALLY . . .

We women gathered in the kitchen after the table was cleared, opened the oven door and gathered round in various attitudes of comfort. Then we “let our hair down” and visited. The holidays faded away gradually . . . Ethel Dobson Robinson on Christmas 1936

Can't you just see the women gathered around the old wood stove, sitting on a hodge-podge of available chairs and stools, the oven door open? And what do you suppose they talked about when they "let their hair down"? 

Today it can be said that the holidays are gradually fading away in my world.  Tomorrow we will not only leave but close our country home for the winter. Fortunately I have already anticipated my winter sewing / blogging needs and carried to town those things I might want.

This morning Mike was anxious to check out our vehicles parked at the neighbor's and asked me to pack up some things that he could carry out to the Dakota. So, I packed the laundry, some books, textiles and clean clothes, and a few food items, which he loaded onto the 4-wheeler.
Off he went -- down, down, down the lane -- and then up to the road -- which was plowed by the county again this morning. Past Plank's old place he went and up Plank's Pitch to the neighbor's where the vehicles are parked. He found the back of the Dakota was frozen shut and he hadn't taken his keys to unlock the cab. He returned to the house for keys and hot water, and in the end he had to remove his snow gear and climb through the cab window and into the pick-up bed in order to thaw the latch with hot water. By the time he accomplished his task he was freezing. It was probably 20 degrees.

I have to say here that my husband is wonderful to carry me in and out of here with the stuff I deem important. He never complains about all the back and forthing.

It's been a great holiday for us -- and I look forward to continued nurturing of my inner child. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

I love Ethel's comment. What a perfect phrase.

I suspect Mike knows how lucky he is to be married to you, and like Dan (hmmm, the inference is that Dan's lucky too!! ha ha!) knows that a little inconvenience at times is worth it.

Kathy said...

What a nice observation, Chris. Whether or not Mike thinks he's lucky, he does understand the importance of "toys." We pack them first. And nothing is ever too much trouble for him. I admit that some things are too much trouble for me.