Sunday, December 26, 2010

I WISHED FOR DICKENS . . .


The shops were beautiful with all sorts of gay and clever Christmas displays. The markets were a dream of luscious foods, and I wished for Dickens to describe them for me; turkeys, geese, ducks, fat chickens, beef roasts and cuts of all kinds, hams, bacon, pork roasts and chops, cranberries as big as cherries, bags and baskets of nuts (the biggest walnuts and filberts I ever saw), jars of mincemeat, pies, cakes, and cookies of every sort, baskets filled with the finest fruits, and all wrapped in colored cellophane. I kept falling behind to admire things, while Lynn [Ina's daughter Myrtle] went blithely on her way among the happy people. We got a small young chicken, ripe olives, cranberries, huge filberts, and some holly sprigs to make it complete; all this to be added to our supplies at home. About noon we went into Mannings (tea and coffee importers) who have a fine lunch room and serve their famous coffee. We had Scotch scones and coffee at a little table and rested. Got home about 3:30, tired and happy. I had captured the Christmas spirit which had eluded me for some time past. Ina in Portland, Christmas 1946
I'm not sure Ina needed Dickens to help her. I can picture the holiday scene quite well on what she says. The card shown here was given to Ina by Myrtle the year prior -- Christmas 1945.
Hallie and I were visiting about traditional holiday reunions and how that happens for some families and not for others. Our family seems to have moved on from that experience. The branches of my extended family now celebrate in their various homes, and when it comes to us, just Hallie and Nick join us annually. But, I tell her, if you did want to do something else at Christmas, I would want you to do it and I wouldn't want you to be afraid to tell me. Then she said in substance, as I recall: I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I don't do it for you. I do it for me. That was exactly the right answer, and I give that same reply to those who have expressed appreciation for my advent project here at the "Homestead": It warms my heart that you came and enjoyed, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I did it for myself. The bonus was that you came to visit and shared your thoughts.
And the project isn't over. I'm just not finished – that's all there is to it. Though Christmas 2010 has officially passed, we still have ours to celebrate in giving and receiving, playing board games, sharing favorite foods, and planning for next year. I like to get ready for Christmas – and getting ready happens all through the year.
I know my mother reviewed our Christmas celebration and made plans for the coming year, and I found evidence that Ina, too, was planning. Check out this recipe for date cake at the bottom of which she notes, "This for next year."

DATE & NUT CAKE
1 lb. dates cut in pieces
1 lb. walnuts, cut
1 lb. sugar [?]
2 eggs beaten
1 cup flour
salt
vanilla
Mix together. This is quite stiff but o.k.
This for next Christmas.

I think that one pound sugar should be one cup, don't you? Obviously she wrote it in haste. If you want to make date & nut cake, you can probably find a better recipe. KW

2 comments:

debdog42 said...

I lb of sugar would be two cups I think. "A pint's a pound the world around." I learned this somewhere years ago.

Leah said...

We all do things for ourselves, because we see the world through our own eyes. We only hope that others appreciate the decisions that we make.