Sunday, December 12, 2010

SCOTCH SHORTBREAD

On the whole Sunday went off pleasantly. I made my pumpkin pies for the dinner and in the evening Dad popped two kettlefuls of corn and I put molasses and sugar taffy over it. Very good! We heard part of A Christmas Carol over the radio and various other good music. Ina Dobson, Christmas 1933


Along with Swedish spritz cookies, my mother always made Scotch shortbread. I couldn't find it on a recipe card, so I'm copying one from Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book, 1950. This was Mother's main cookbook as I grew up. I suspect this is the recipe she used.

SCOTCH SHORTBREAD
"Old-time delicacy from Scotland . . . crisp, thick, buttery."
Mix together thoroughly:
1 cup soft butter
5/8 cup sugar (1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp.)
Stir in:
2 1/2 cups sifted GOLD MEDAL Flour
Mix thoroughly with hands. Chill dough. Roll out 1/3 to 1/2" thick. Cut into fancy shapes (small leaves, ovals, squares, etc.). Flute edges if desired by pinching between fingers as for pie crust. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 300 (slow oven) for 20 to 25 minutes. (The tops do not brown during baking . . . nor does shape of the cookies change.) Makes about 2 dozen 1" x 1 1/2" cookies.
Mother cut her Scotch shortbread in the shape of diamonds, fluted them, and decorated with pieces of red and green cherries. KW

9 comments:

Leah said...

My cookbook of choice has always been Betty Crocker's. My well worn copy has a printing date of 1976 and the ©1969. When I was young (and full of energy), I made everything from scratch. I used Betty's pie crust and have a note on that page "Yummy."

My 1976 B.C. cookbook has the same ingredients for Scotch Shortbread, but different quantities.

3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour

Funny thing about cookbooks. You see a recipe for something you want to make, but don't know how it will turn out the first time. Kathy, when you have a recipe such as your Mother's Shortbread recipe and know that she made it, you have a higher comfort level.

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

I, too have Betty's books (a couple of them-different printings). I love shortbread and shall have to make some, not having made it for a while. Thanks Kathy for reminding me.

Chris said...

These were served at my wedding shower--I remember. :-)

And I remember how all the attendees were awed with the tree and the decorations in your home.

debdog42 said...

I never remember these on Christmas Eve? Was she still baking them then? I love shortbread too and haven't made any for years.

I collect recipes from lots of sources but still use my Betty Crocker cookbook as my go to for checking out recipes and cooking instructions. Kathy I think you gave me my copy for a wedding gift along with a pie plate and a rolling pin.

Kathy said...

I have that same B.C. cookbook, Leah. Thanks for letting us know about the different ingredient quantities. I prefer those, I think.

I couldn't say, Deb, if she was still making them in the '70s and '80s. I can't imagine she would have dropped them. They actually look a lot like the spritz and were often on the same plate.

I had forgotten all about your shower, Chris. Did we just serve holiday goodies? The Christmas decorations were a nice backdrop for the shower. 39 years ago?

Chris said...

Yes, thirty-nine years ago. I think the shower was on the 13th, but I'd have to look. And yes, it was holiday treats. As I recall, the write-up in the Clearwater Tribune said the theme was "Love at Christmas". :-)

Kathy said...

Chris, I think I see Harriet's hand here. I don't think we had a theme for the shower, but I can see her saying to herself, "Let's see, how can I give this write-up a special spin?" Good old hometown papers.

Diane said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been lotfor this particular recipe for a very long time!! I always remembered my mom using 1/2 cup of sugar and a good amount of butter! I’m sure She used this very same recipe for Christmas cookies! So buttery!!

Kathy said...

You're welcome, "Unknown." I wish I could make everyone so happy!