Sunday, March 6, 2011

LOOKING THE BUFFALO IN THE EYE

I was “on a roll” a while back. Remember the “Vintage Holiday” quilt project? I made good progress for a while, but distraction is always just a heartbeat away – always. It appeared first in the form of a report I had to prepare and present. And then I had some little gifts I needed to make, which I did. And then I lost a weekend to the flu. And through it all I had some mending / updating to do on Mike’s hunting vests. I won’t let myself move ahead with the fun until I’ve finished the “musts.” Sometimes things come to a standstill.

So as Mike went off to work yesterday, I announced that I would fix his hunting vests.  I covered the whole back of one with a piece of hunter orange and embroider his brand on it. On the other, I simply embroidered the brand on a flap – something he’s wanted for weeks. And when I finished that work, I allowed myself a special treat -- a simple yet inspirational project. Sometimes I just need to do some thing I can finish in a short time – something that hopefully won’t end up as an unfinished project.

I had purchased Butterick pattern 5587 for the 18-inch girl doll, featuring a free pattern for a knit sweater. I crochet – I don’t knit – but I have found that while knitting doesn’t translate to crochet exactly, if I can figure out the pattern basics, I can use a knitting pattern as the basis for a crocheted garment. I grabbed some leftover yarn lurking under the bed and a crochet hook from the "hook book" and after some hours of work, “Shirley Anne, American Farm Girl,” had a new sweater of many colors. At first I was disappointed when I ran out of brown yarn, but then I reminded myself that Shirley Anne, girl of the Depression, is about making do. 

Anyway, the sweater is just a prototype; I’m sure I could do better. KW

6 comments:

Chris said...

You've certainly conquered the buffalo this week!! Well done!

Mike's bag looks wonderful and I'm sure he's very appreciative. And the sweater is adorable!!! I love it in its many colors and I'm sure Shirley Anne is glad to be so warmly and attractively dressed. I'll have to look into that pattern as I'm sure my "girls" would love a knit one.

I'm the same way about fun and musts. There must have been something in that water we drank growing up that made us so alike! :-)

Hallie said...

Shirley Anne looks very happy in her new sweater. I agree with Aunt Chris that the M/W brand is perfect.

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

But don't you wait too long to get back to your holiday quilt - I really want to see how it turns out.
The sweater for the doll reminds me that I need to get some clothes done for my Whilhelm (antique doll that belonged to my dad's mother). We often don't let ourselves do the fun stuff when we feel we MUST do the basics first. I know; I fall in this catagory all the time.

Kathy said...

Yes, Mike was appreciative of my work. I neglected to say that he took me to Southway Pizzeria where we ordered the "Big Kahuna."

It wouldn't take a knitter long to make that little sweater for "school girls." I used 4-ply yarn instead of 3-ply, which was recommended and would have been better.

Well, I just have to say any discipline I developed is a tribute to my mother. Mothers tended to think alike in those days. And of course, we've always had similar interests.

Leah said...

Nice sweater, Kathy. Did Ina crochet or knit or both?

Kathy said...

Okay, Dr. Molly. I'll stick with the quilt and try to finish it.

I, too, have an antique doll that belonged to my dad's cousin. My mother loved to dress antique dolls, but alas! she left this one for me to finish.

And if Ina enjoyed knitting or crochet, she didn't say so, and I have no proof that she did either. She does speak of Pearl's knitting, though. It's interesting -- I'll post it.