Tuesday, January 31, 2012

INTERLIBRARY LOAN




I wanted to know more about "Fibber McGee and Molly," the famous mid-century radio program starring the real-life married couple, Jim and Marian Jordan. Available history seemed sort of sketchy, so I decided to read a certain highly-recommended book.



Before Christmas, I shared my book wish list with Hallie. “But don’t pay any attention to that expensive book about Fibber McGee and Molly,” I told her. “I’m going to ask the library to get it for me.”

She came back with: “They can get books for you? Cool!”

Here in our remote rural communities we have a wonderful library system – Valnet. Lewiston, Clarkston, Moscow, and the smaller surrounding communities are all part of one system, so we can check out books in Orofino or Nezperce, for example, and then return them at the Asotin County Library or any other member library. I understand that this system is a prototype that libraries throughout the nation are watching, and our library administration says it works very well.

But I digress. Mid-January I visited the Asotin County Library in Clarkston. “You won’t have this book, I’m sure,” I told the librarian, “but I’d like to see if you can get it for me. It’s Heavenly Days! The Story of Fibber McGee and Molly, by Charles Stumpf and Tom Price, published in 1987.”

First she checked the Valnet system, but my prediction was correct -- she didn’t find it. Next she checked libraries at the University of Idaho, Washington State University, and Gonzaga. Then she broadened the search to Washington cities and found a copy at the Seattle Public Library. She said that she didn’t anticipate any problems with the inter-library loan. Delivery took about two weeks.

Electronic devices are now changing our library systems. In fact, hands-on workshops to demonstrate the new technology occurred last week at our libraries. The way we read is changing. It won’t happen overnight, though. Some books might never be digitized. Perhaps Heavenly Days! is an example. KW


8 comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

Kathy, I am so glad you got your book. It looks interesting - I may have to look into getting it. I remember my mum talking about the program, but my poor memory does not let me know if I actually listened to it.
'tP' & I use our local library every week. There is a branch of the Whitman Co. library right in Colton - other small communities in Whitman county, too - & we can get lots of books brought in as we request. Love, love, love books!

Chris said...

I just ordered up a book using the inter-library system yesterday. Ann loves it, too, especially for finding books for the boys.

Leah said...

So glad you could get the old book, Kathy. We have an inter library loan system here in Orange County, too. Haven't used it, though. A system to get books from other libraries makes people want to read more.

I remember listening to FM&M and loved it. Sound effects were very important in radio scripts and that show had many strange things going on. McGee's closet delighted both children & adults.

There is a website that locates books all across the country: worldcat.org. I think the "cat" stands for catalog, but not sure. I see the FM&M book at the Univ. of Calif. in LA, Seattle, college libraries all across the country, Ohio, Georgia, New York & the Library of Congress. The mileage is even listed for each location of a book. At the bottom of the website, it lists places that sell your book. It's good that you borrowed it from the library because buying a copy is very expensive. It's selling from $70 to $239. Eeeek!

Leah said...

Last night I was organizing a cd on my computer. It was a freebie from a meeting a few years ago at our PC Club. The Radio Lady, as she's called, loves old radio programs & sells them on cd's. This sampler has 96 programs from A to Z (literally). Starts with the "Aldrich Family" & ends with "Zero Hour." It holds 42 hours of good clean entertainment. Some of her notes didn't have the exact air dates, so I looked on the internet and found a website which lists vintage radio logs (name of program & air date). Didn't count the list on the website, but it is 44 pages long, so I'm sure it has hundreds of series.

I was able to find the air dates of almost all of my 96 programs. While getting the facts, I listened to some of them on my cd. I stopped at 11:00pm. The time just flew by.

The voices were wonderful. People with rich expressive voices had radio careers. One exception was Fibber McGee, but I loved him anyway. Movie stars appeared on radio often & it wasn't considered "selling out" as it is today when a movie star goes on TV.

Jean Shepherd, writer of "A Christmas Story" the movie we see every Christmas day, had a radio program in NYC. He is the voice of the adult Ralphie in the movie. His 90 min program is great. He described events so well & was so excited as he told his stories.

My favorite radio programs were (in no particular order): Charlie McCarthy show, Fibber McGee, Great Gildersleeve, Hopalong Cassidy, Jack Benny, Let's Pretend, Lights Out, Lone Ranger, Lum & Abner, The Shadow, & The Whistler. Ahh Nostalgia.

Hallie said...

Last night I was disinterested in TV, without book (waiting for my hold to arrive from the library), without an unwatched show on the iPad, and BORED. So, we curled up in bed and tuned into the NPR app via the iPad and listened to one of our favorite podcasts, RadioLab. I'm sure it's not the same kind of show as in the olden days, but it did make me feel like I was having a retro moment.

Leah said...

Hallie, you have the right concept. Listening to radio dramas today is different from the past only because a younger audience is considered. The age group of people with iPads isn't interested in programs from the 30's or 40's. Times change. People change.

YouTube has lots of old radio programs. Did you know that many radio shows had live audiences? Some old radio shows were filmed and you can see them on YouTube.

Kathy said...

I think I'll post again about the radio programs based on discussion here.

Sometimes Mike and I listen to old-time radio programs in bed. Mike likes Gunsmoke because the sound is so clear. Besides, it's fun to hear William Conrad stride down the street, knowing he was 5'7" and fat. His voice was tall, though.

Leah said...

His voice was tall. Great description, Kathy.