Wednesday, February 22, 2012

FINDING A CACHE AT DUSK


“I have one last cache to find,” said Mike as we wended our way home from Boise, “and it’s just up here.” We had already passed through Riggins where we crossed the “Time Zone Bridge” and were coming close to White Bird.

I wasn’t expecting another stop. Dusk was rapidly becoming dark and I was doubtful we could be successful in the find. Oh well. 

Mike likes to plan a few caching stops when we travel. It gets us out of the car for a stretch of the legs, and of course, Nellie always likes to explore. We had stopped earlier in Ontario, Oregon, where we were unable to find the “Green R Us” cache at Walgreen’s. But we did find one by the side of the road in cow country along the way.


Anyway, I hopped out of the car and began taking pictures before all light vanished. Given the time of day, I thought the pictures turned out reasonably well.
AND – Just as Mike was giving up, I spotted the cache. It was a “buffalo tube,” a little cylindrical container about the size of your little finger, hanging on the branch of a bush. Those can be hard to spot.

The last few days I have been busy with P.E.O. activities as I finish my second term as chapter president. That work will continue to keep me busy for the next couple of weeks. Then someone else will be president, but I'll help her get started. 

We had wind during the night which is supposed to continue until late afternoon. Nellie doesn't like it -- is lying at my feet. It was 57 when we went to bed -- that's warm! -- and is 56 this morning. It's 66 in the house without any heat, so I can make it without heating. The forecast is for a low of 35 tonight. KW

11 comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

What a wind, eh? It is rattling everything up here. Ah, the blessings of the prairie.

Leah said...

Hate to tell you, but it was over 80° here today. Just looked at your Valentine slideshow. Have never seen a card with cupid toting a gun!

Chris said...

Yup, wind here. Lots of it! But sunshine, too, which is sooo nice after the dark of this morning.

Your PEO duties have kept you very busy these last two years. Will you miss it or be glad to have more time?

You found the cache! Good work. :-)

Kathy said...

Silly Chris! Asking questions you know the answer to. I was just telling sister Harriet that I don't even want to be chairman of a committee this next year. And the next couple of weeks will be busy as we get ready for initiation AND installation. Then I have to make sure the files are up to date.

Leah, the cupid with the gun is on one of my dad's postcards. I had expected to make a slide show of vintage valentines from his collection, but when I got to it, there were none with the exception of this one. So I had to improvise.

The wind seems to have calmed now though the forecast says there will be some continued gusting.

Hallie said...

It was actually a nice, sunny day today albeit cold. Today is Nick's birthday, so we're celebrating with a dinner of take out from our favorite Thai restaurant. It's always hard when a birthday falls mid week.

Chris said...

Hallie, how fun that you and Nick have birthdays so close. Dan's and mine are 15 days apart, but in different months. I've never eaten Thai food--I hear it's quite spicy?

Kathy, yes, I think I did know the answer to that question, but I had to ask. :-)

Hallie said...

Never had Thai??? Oh my! I suppose I've gotten to try many foods in Seattle that I wouldn't have otherwise. The nice thing about ordering Thai is that you tell them how spicy you want it on a 1-4 scale. You can have it not spicy at all. My favorite dish is Phad See Ew, which is fat rice noodles with broccoli, chicken, egg, and sometimes carrots in a black bean sauce. If you ever come to Seattle you MUST call me and I'll treat! :)

Kathy said...

I've had Thai. There's a little Thai restaurant on 21st in Lewiston in the old Taco Time location. Apparently it's pretty good because when I was working state employees from Boise would ask me how to find it. I went once with co-workers, and I guess it was good. The homespun atmosphere bothered me a bit.

Chris, today I identified an embroidery design I want to use to make gifts for six P.E.O. sisters -- just don't know what to put it on.

Chris said...

Kathy, what type of design is it?

We're over at Ann's watching the boys until Sunday night, so I'm not on the computer much. I brought my laptop over because Ann and Eric have been emailing photos to the boys to show them where they've been.

Hallie, if we get to Seattle, I'll let you know! Thanks! :-)

Kathy said...

Hi Chris -- Moving to email to discuss embroidery designs.

Chris said...

Hmm, I just typed you an email in response to yours, but I can't seem to send from Ann's. I'll send it Sunday night when we get home. Or, maybe I'll try messaging it from Facebook.