Friday, March 16, 2012

TUPPERWARE

 

The other night Hallie sent a message to say she was watching the PBS American Experience program on Tupperware. “Very good,” she said. Yes, I had seen it, I told her. The focus of this program is Brownie Wise and the marketing strategy she developed for Tupperware which basically brought the company out of obscurity. That history is all online for our enlightenment, but it occurred to me that Hallie has never been to a Tupperware party. Maybe she’d like to hear about Tupperware from me – from us!

It was 1960 and I was 11 when I accompanied my mother to our first Tupperware Party. If memory serves, the party was at the home of Ruth Ross, a friend and neighbor. The way the party worked was that a hostess, in this case Ruth, invited her friends and provided a dessert. The presenter arrived beforehand and set up the products she would demonstrate. Once the guests had arrived, the presenter was in control, demonstrating her wares. She also had leaflets and catalogs, including price lists. I remember the guests talking about how this phenomenon had finally reached our area. Everyone had heard about these plastic storage containers with lids that sealed, sold only at parties, never in stores.

I really don’t remember much about the presentation, but I can tell you what was included. The dealer most certainly demonstrated how to “burp” the lid in order to seal the container. And she spoke of the benefits of that seal in preserving the food – sealing the food in and odors out. The display table was full of Tupperware, and she had suggestions for how it could be used. Toward the end, she showed us the lovely gifts that would be awarded the hostess – certain items for just having the party and another prize if resulting orders totaled a certain sum. And I believe if guests signed up to host a party, the hostess received more prizes. (If you didn’t have sales resistance at this point, you could get in deeper than you wanted to be – but then, that’s life, isn’t it?)

And I remember that I won the door prize. It was a sample table decoration that might be assembled for a bridal shower using a pint container and six plastic tea spoons with curved handles. White plastic flowers were tucked into the container. It looked like a fancy little flower cart. I displayed that in my room for years until I realized it really was kinda tacky, so I took it apart and put the container and spoons in my hope chest. The useless iced tea spoons kicked around for years until I tossed them.

My mother bought a lot of pint containers at that party. Until then we stored refrigerated leftovers in bowls that we covered with elasticized plastic caps. What a nuisance those caps were! They were no fun to wash and they didn’t dry readily. The Tupper containers with lids were so much better for food storage – and stackable, too.

Over the years Mother collected more serviceable Tupper pieces, and I had quite a lot, too, but I don’t remember going to many parties. I know I received some as wedding gifts – in the ‘70s when harvest gold and avocado green were everywhere. And I have to say – for plastic, Tupperware was great quality. The round cake carrier was really large enough for your angel food cake or frosted layer cake. Or you could fit trays in it and carry 18 cupcakes. In the same trays you could carry two pies. The ones I find in the stores now are skimpy by comparison and too small to be useful. Today, of course, other companies make those plastic storage containers with lids that seal. But for years, Tupper had a corner on that market because of the patent.

I’m now gradually replacing my Tupperware with Rubbermaid. Why? Because plastic doesn’t age well. It feels tacky, or it’s brittle, and it smells funny. Frankly,  I’m afraid to seal my food in it. But then – how many years ago was that? 30? 40? 50? Egads! Time to let it go.

Still – folks are looking for Tupperware.  I guess it’s collectible now. The pieces that show up at the rummage sale are gone in  a flash when the doors open, together with the vintage Corning “cornflower” casseroles and the sequined blouses. No, I’m not going to collect Tupperware. Someone else can have it. I love "vintage" but make mine books and patterns and dolls and fabric and . . .   

[The photo above shows the few remaining Tupper pieces I found in my kitchen. The last piece I bought – in the ‘90s, I think -- is the big yellow bowl, and I bought it from a Tupperware dealer, not at a party. It’s my “really large mixing bowl” for Chex Mix and such as that.] KW
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Chris said...

I use my Tupperware measuring cups and spoons every single day. I have both in yellow and orange. :-) Yup, from the '70's for sure. Mom has green as I recall. I also have the big yellow bowl which served up endless amounts of air popped popcorn as the kids were growing up. Cake taker? Yup. I have the same small containers, and a few other pieces. Oh, and I have the 2-quart mixing pitcher. I couldn't make pancakes or waffles or muffins without it! I think they still make Tupperware, but I haven't been to a party in twenty-five years. Pampered Chef is another story, however.

Leah said...

Those Tupperware parties were fun. I remember them well. The hostess could have more sales if she took the catalog to work and get her co-workers to order things. I've been to few parties as well as being a hostess. I own a lot now (read below). I'm with you Kathy, they begin to look pretty bad as the years go by.

A few years ago, I looked at all leftover (refrigerator) containers, mostly squares & threw them all out for the sake of cleanliness. You're never sure that you can get the crevices of the lids clean. Tupperware would stain from spaghetti sauce and that looked awful. I saw some Rubbermaid ads bragging that they didn't stain. Just what I wanted! Stains with these containers is mostly with clear plastic. Tupperware just couldn't overcome that.

I was on a mission and pitched all but one Tupperware piece, a lettuce keeper. The lettuce bowl is at least 23 years old. In 1989, I had a bad accident (broken pelvis) and my son flew out to take care of me for a couple of weeks. He cooked all the meals & after he left, I noticed that the "spike" inside the lettuce keeper was gone. This spike was to go inside the center of the lettuce (bottom side) and more or less suspend it from any moisture which could pool in the bottom of the bowl. I think he threw it out with the lettuce by mistake. He didn't like getting blamed for that, but he was the only one in the kitchen! Lettuce keeper is doing it's job today (without the spike).

Two years ago, my pantry was invaded by flour beetles. The best thing I could do was throw everything out & give up cereal boxes, all cardboard packages and start over. I bought a huge amount of Tupperware & Rubbermaid. Cereal, spaghetti, noodles, crackers & especially flour would be under "lock & key." I spent over $300. That hurt, but it was the lesser of two weevils. Sorry...couldn't pass up the pun.

Does anyone remember Tupperware glasses? Salt & Pepper Shakers? Great stuff for picnics.

Kathy said...

Oh yes, Leah, I do remember the staining. And also, on the rare occasion that something spoiled in Tupperware, it was practically impossible to get the smell out.

Initially Tupperware wasn't touted as dishwasher safe, I believe. I wouldn't hesitate today because I don't use the heated drying cycle. And don't put it in your microwave.

After all these years, I'm replacing my green and yellow measuring cups, but it's tough to let them go. The great thing about the Tupper sets was that they included the 2/3 and 3/4 cup sizes. I haven't seen that anywhere else.

Chris said...

You're getting rid of your measuring cups and spoons? Those extras such as 1 1/2 tsp and 3/4 cup are why I keep them.

I remember that Mom had some bowls, pastel cereal size with the seals, when we were growing up and I'm pretty sure Aunty Shirley or Grandma Hansen sent them to her. After reading about Brownie, I'm thinking we had them before the advent of home parties. I also remember that they began to peel. We had no dishwasher (other than me!)and of course it was long before microwaves, I don't know what caused them to do that.

Amazing that you remember going to Ruth's for a party. I wonder if Mom was there, too. The first party I went to was just before Ann was born and I bought the lettuce keeper Leah talks about.

Kathy said...

I have a love-hate relationship with my kitchen and everything in it. The Tupperware measuring cups -- some are missing, some have melted spots. Yet you are so right, Chris, that they are the handiest. And yes, I remember that peeling was an issue with some pieces.

I don't remember the other guests at the party. Sure seems like it was Ruth's. And it could have been an older group -- like the sewing circle ladies.

Did you take me to a Tupperware party, Chris? -- or was that some other kind of party?

I just checked the phone book -- no Tupperware listed in the white or yellow pages for this community.

Leah said...

Hallie, Just like old photos, you can look at the "background" in the Tupperware documentary. The clothes were especially interesting, and since there were huge groups of women in the film, you could critique fashions of the era.

Another aspect of the 1950's & 60's, this one bad, was the dominance of men in the business world. Help Wanted ads in the newspaper would specify men or women and it was perfectly legal. It was sad to see how Brownie was pushed out. She made the brand known & respected.

I'm sure the reason that Tupperware bowls were shaped like "bowls" was because that's what women in the 1950's stored things in...bowls. If Tupperware had started with square shapes at first, no one would have accepted or used the products. Sneaky, right?

Anyone remember the centerpiece made with a Tupperware lace doily and iced tea spoons inserted around the outsides (maybe 4 or 6). The top of the spoons were tied together at the top with something. The slanted spoon bottom was what the basket "sat on."

Leah said...

Kathy: I think the internet is the place to go for Tupperware today. That's where I bought my huge kitchen makeover stuff 2 years ago. There were discounts for buying in groups as opposed to buying separate pieces. If I remember, the website has a place to contact a dealer nearby when you put in your zip code.

Kathy, I use an old trick when I think about things I don't like in my kitchen. I tell myself that if it still "works" then I can't afford to replace it. Of course, if I really hate something, then, there's no reprieve for the poor thing. I throw it out & get the new improved model.

Wow, the Blogger spell check is really working today. I won't admit how many words I've been "helped with" today.

Kathy said...

Leah, that's it! That's the door prize I won. Yes! It was a doily on top -- just couldn't quite remember. Thanks!

As a matter of fact, Hallie did pick up on the clothes -- specifically, Brownie's wardrobe. And we're looking for the book -- the one that included Brownie's motivational talks (that's the one that they buried when she was dismissed). It's online but a little spendy to buy when she'd just like to read it. I told her to ask at the library and see if they can find it for her.

Hallie doesn't have a laptop right now. Her comments are brief because she finds it difficult to comment from her iPad keyboard.

Leah said...

Hallie: Get a laptop!

Leah said...

Hallie: I looked for Brownie Wise's book on the website: worldcat.org. Might have mentioned that some other time. It shows up when you google a book on the left with the sellers. You ask for a book and all the libraries in the country show up with the mileage. The mileage is a funny part of the list (as if you'd drive or fly to the distant city). When I put in your zip code, the closest is UCLA in Los Angeles at 954 miles from you. The list goes on to list the other 19 libraries, most of them in the south. If you look at this website, you can ask your library if they do inter library loans with other libraries in distant states.

What I was hoping to find on Google books was a free ebook since the copyright has probably expired. No luck.

Hallie said...

This was a most amusing thread! Nick has a laptop that we share but the iPad is always on and ready. I should really just get a keyboard for the iPad.

I think I could wear anything from Brownie's wardrobe and it would seem current. Banana Republic has a whole line modeled after Mad Men.

I could also just buy the book and donate it to my beloved local library.

Kathy said...

It was fun, wasn't it? Chris, Leah, and I got together to tell you about Tupperware. And along the way, the subject of the '50's wardrobe came up, which Hallie had discussed with me in conversation elsewhere.

Amongst today's sewing patterns, some are called "retro" or "vintage," but I can also see that retro influence in current offerings. I think women are looking for more style in what they wear.

Amanda Swedberg said...

I have LOVED reading what you ladies are saying about Tupperware. I am a consultant who lives in Alberta, Canada and I just want to say thank you. Reading your comments has given me an entire week's worth of things to write about for my blog.
You should know that your Tupperware has a life time warranty, so any peeling, chipping, cracking or breaking means it can be replaced. Yes, even those great measuring cups!!
Thank you so much.

Kathy said...

Amanda -- Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed our quiet reminiscences about Tupperware. I read your most recent blog entries this morning. I had found Tupperware online last week but no evidence of it in our community. I appreciate knowing that the format still exists.

Kathy said...

There's something very comforting in knowing that Tupperware is still available in the old sizes, though updated. I'm ordering measuring cups and spoons for Hallie, and I've placed a few items on my Christmas list.