Sunday, April 29, 2012

DADDY'S BIRTHDAY


My dad’s birthdate was April 29, so we’re celebrating here with a slideshow of his birthday postcards.

Of course, my dad passed away 25 years ago – 1987 – at the age of 83. We think he was 83. We think he was born in 1904. I say, “we think,” because as he was showing me the Dobson family Bible one day, he noticed that his mother listed his birthdate as April 29, 1905. “1905!” he said. “Why, I always thought I was born in 1904. I’m just sure I was born in 1904. Mother must have been confused when she wrote that.”

Hmmmm. Was Grandma Ina confused -- or wasn’t she? Did my dad grow up thinking he was a year older than he actually was? Well, if he thought he was born in 1904, so did the extended family. Postcards from relatives noted his 10th birthday in 1914, his 11th in 1915. So, in all likelihood, he was born in 1904.

Before official marriage, birth and death certificates, the family Bible provided a means of noting these important life events, but mistakes occurred, especially if the entry wasn’t made in a timely manner. Once the parents were gone, the Bible was handed to just one child, usually the eldest son, sooner or later making it useless to the rest of the family. The family Bible of John and Lucy Dobson, my great-grandparents, which listed the births of Grandpa Julian and his twin brother Junius, was entrusted to their older brother, Tell, and subsequently lost in a house fire. At the time, criticism ensued over what items were saved (a few clothes) and what was lost (the family Bible). Oh well! As for Julian and Ina’s Bible, it’s not in my keeping and that’s fine.

My dad was born before birth certificates were routinely provided. When people began to need proof of age, obtaining a birth certificate could be problematic for adults if parents, other relatives, or those present at birth were deceased or otherwise unavailable. My dad was lucky. His parents were still alive in 1941 and completed an affidavit stipulating the facts of his birth which was submitted to the State of Idaho. He was then provided a birth certificate. In 1970, Daddy received a certified copy of that affidavit which is among his documents. I learned that my dad was born at home at 4:00 p.m., delivered by Mrs. Cunningham, who was listed as deceased. This was a full-term pregnancy and a live birth. Question 9 on the form is “legitimate?” to which Ina responded “yes.” Grandpa Julian signed the form before notary public Frank Kimble in Orofino. He probably had forms for all six of his children.

[The picture of Vance Dobson was taken upon his graduation from Orofino High School in 1924 when he was 20 years old. I don't recall the circumstances that delayed the completion of his high school education. The location of the picture is a house on Orofino's Kalaspo Avenue where he lived while attending high school.

Oh! And about the postcards in the slideshow to the right -- I was surprised by the feminine nature of the cards. Regardless, a look at the postcard collection and the album itself show that the cards were cherished -- much read and admired -- throughout the years. Perhaps the album was shared with others when times were quiet and entertainment sought here at the farm.] KW

7 comments:

Leah said...

What a nice card collection, a snapshot early 20th century birthdays. I've learned over the years that many people send me a BD card that reflects their interests, not mine. Yes, we all are drawn to a card in a shop because we like the artwork or words. I think the BD senders of Vance's cards did the same thing. They picked cards that they liked. And we have to consider that it's doubtful there were many cards with men in mind. The cowboy card was nice and just right for a boy.

When I see graduation photos from long ago, the young people look so grown up. Don't know if it was the way they dressed or if I just have it in my mind they born long before I was.

Kathy, you only had your dad for 38 years. Think of your time with him as quality & not quantity.

Hallie said...

Did Grandpa rent a room in Orofino? How did he just live there during high school? Did Earle rent a room in Lewiston while he went to school?

Kathy said...

Leah, I agree about graduation photos and I truly believe that the graduate of yesteryear was better prepared to be an adult in the adult world. Graduating from high school signified a maturity that we don't allow it today.

I was lucky to have had my dad for as long as I did. He was lucky to know and enjoy his own grandchildren.

Julian and Ina bought a house in Orofino where the children lived while attending high school. Mother told me this was standard practice in those days. Aunt Bertha and Uncle June bought a house near the high school in Lewiston, and I suspect that's where Earle lived. We can look up that address some time.

Chris said...

I have in my possession a copy of the 1920 Prospector and there on page 34 is a picture of the freshman class and a picture of your father. In the row below him, I spot Ruth Tyra, who became Ruth Ross. Another name I recognize is Eldon Snyder. Fairley Walrath is a junior and Ted Walrath a sophomore. There are many last names I recognize, but not the first names, and of course we probably knew some of the "girls", but not by their maiden names.

The ads are a hoot--The Rex Theatre is called "Orofino's Amusement Center." And scattered among them are little sayings such as "Be it ever so homely, there is no face like our own."

Kathy said...

Chris -- Is there a picture of the football team?

I don't have a copy of the 1920 annual -- just the 1924.

I'd forgotten that Ruth Ross was a Tyra. Remember Boone Tyra?

Chris said...

Yes, there is a photo of the football team and Fairley is a member. He's also in the basketball photo and track photo.

I don't remember Boone Tyra. Who was he?

Kathy said...

I can't tell you exactly about the Tyra family, but Mother used to mention Boone from time to time. I think he died before you and I began to remember things.