Saturday, April 7, 2012

MUSINGS ON EASTER OUTFITS


Truly, it's been years since I had a new outfit for Easter, and somehow dresses just aren't a fit with what I do these days. But time was, thanks to my mother, that real thought went into what I would wear for Easter, and that included undergarments as well as hat, purse, and shoes. Lists were made -- nothing was left to chance. My spring "dressy" dress was new for Easter, and there was no question but that I would wear it -- to Sunday school, piano recitals, school concerts, and other dress occasions that came along, provided I didn't outgrow it first.

And so it went while I grew up. I always had a completely new outfit for Easter, something that was integrated into my well-planned wardrobe. My mother saw such planning as a part of her duties as a homemaker, and it fell easily within her talents. But -- in the '50s and '60s, it was what a mother did. I know this because I saw my friends receive the same kind of consideration. And today, when I talk with those who were young mothers in that day, they relate that they found gratification through the process of dressing a daughter.

But -- times changed -- ever so subtly at first, it seems. In 1973, while I was working in Boston, my mother made me a beautiful pink faux leather suit with matching plaid wool jacket and sent it to me for Easter. (I still have the jacket.) Even then, something new and fresh to wear for Easter was important. But I noticed that somehow I felt overdone, even though the style was current. And I hardly ever wore that suit. It wasn't all that useful.

As if to emphasize that I really was out of step with the world, my Boston supervisor said one day, "I see you're wearing your white shoes; remember when Easter used to signal the beginning of spring and we all switched to white shoes?"

"You mean -- we don't do that any more?" I thought but didn't ask. I was all too aware that as a kid from the western sticks -- remote even from west coast cities -- I had ideas that were out of date in this east coast city.

And as the '70s became the '80s, somehow the finery on which my mother placed such importance just didn't come together for me even when I tried. It was tough to rationalize dress clothes in an age becoming more casual. Moreover, it was tough to rationalize dress clothes for the kids when they needed jeans and t-shirts for school.

[The pictures were taken by my dad at the Orofino house on Easter 1956. To be honest, I don't remember this outfit. It seems a little less dressy than some Easter outfits I wore. Perhaps that's because sister Joni would marry in June and I would have a beautiful chiffon dress. Yes, I'm sure Mother thought about that and chose a more practical style for Easter.] KW

8 comments:

Leah said...

It seems like the very idea of Easter clothes is a thing of the past. It was fun to have a complete outfit for Easter Sunday when I was growing up in the mid west.

I remember the lime green dress that I bought in 1958 before I left for Europe. I was 20 at the time, but the "Easter Outfit" theme was in my mind as I shopped in Denver. The dress was a sheath style and had a large white bow with green polka dots at the high neckline. In fact, all my dresses were sheath designs. It was the 1950's, remember.

The day before I got on the ship, I walked around midtown Manhattan. It was April and spring had come to New York with me, so I didn't need a coat. I was shocked into reality & given a dose of New York hospitality when a cab driver yelled at me: "Hey lady, don't you know it ain't St. Patrick's Day."

Chris said...

Like you, I was the recipient of a lovely dress each Easter. Mine were usually very frilly, often made of dotted swiss. I know Mom took great pride in making them for me, and it was important to her.

And I, too, remember the rule for white shoes: from Easter to Labor Day only. I broke that rule once in high school and Mom was very unhappy with me and recited the rule.

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

My sisters & I would get Easter dresses, too - my mom loved to pick out the fabric so that we had co-ordinated colors for the 3 of us (by the time the #4 sister came round it was past the time of Easter outfits). When we really small she made matching shirts for my brothers, too. The girls also got hats, but not new shoes. There was generally only one pair of shoes received in the autumn for school. But I didn't really notice.
I made Easter dresses for my daughter when she was very small, but later had not the time or the resources.
I did love those new dresses at Easter time.

Kathy said...

Leah -- How rude and uncalled for was that comment! I'm sure you were lovely in your sheath dresses.

I thought straight skirts and sheaths were wonderful but I was too young to wear them. My fashion dolls received benefit of my appreciation for those styles.

I remember not having the time or the resources, too, but outside of that fact, other changes were taking place. I don't think we can recapture the feel of the time when dressing up was special and we all did it. The fact that we all did it was what made it special.

I meet with an organization of women twice a month. Everyone looks nice, but they don't wear skirts or dresses.

Leah said...

The young girl from Missouri was shocked not only by the fact that a man would yell at me from a car, but his outlandish comment. It gives me a chuckle now, though.

The last time I was in New York, my cab driver was a sweetheart. When I told him that I was going to JFK airport, he was tickled. He said "Oh, boy, the airport." I'm sure his good spirits were because so many people just go a few miles inside Manhattan. He proudly gave me a running commentary of the places we drove through.

Hallie said...

Complete with Easter bonnet! Very cute.

M/W said...

I thing she's just the cutest thing ever.

M/W said...

I thing she's just the cutest thing ever.