Wednesday, May 2, 2012

CONTINUED COOL AND RAINY





One minute it’s chilly, the next quite seasonably warm. Anytime the sun shines, it warms our world, but we’re never quite free of the rain -- Or our sweatshirts. It’s become a problem for me since my sweatshirts are seasonal. The autumn and Christmas themes that I manage to wear through March now look totally ridiculous.

We had planned to return to the farm last Friday but stayed in town due to chilly temps. Our arrival there Saturday morning was followed closely by that of Neighbor Pete, who wanted to talk about that ferocious hail storm we experienced last Tuesday evening (April 24). He showed us the damage to the hood of his 2001 Dodge Ram – small indentations – with damage estimated at $5,000. Insurance will cover it.

When that storm hit the farm with great clattering on our metal roof, Mike immediately thought of protecting our Dakota. Hail pelting him, he sprinted out to the pick-up and drove it up under the pines in the grove. Apparently it was a good idea, though Pete pointed out a small dent or two on our hood as well. (Really – you have to look for them.)
 
A place on the lane is sloughing. Pete helped us with it last year, and he and Mike discussed methods of continuing the stabilization effort. It’s always something.

No thrilling mouse stories this trip, but when Nellie stepped into the kitchen Monday morning she immediately advised Mike of the presence of a mouse which was subsequently found in the live trap. I also removed from the trash can the doll bedding I had tossed. “I remember this stuff,” said Nellie, demanding to examine it again. I washed it and hung it out to dry. No sense to be reactionary on account of the mice.
 
Sunday was a lovely spring day, warm and dry enough so that we were able to prepare and plant the raised bed garden with peas and spinach. In Ina’s day – even in my dad's time – planting was delayed until the first of June, but we decided to give it a try. What are we out if it fails? -- just some seed and effort. If it doesn’t freeze but continues cool and rainy, these cool-weather garden crops may prosper. (When my back was turned -- before I started planting, thank goodness -- Nellie buried her bone in the nice soft dirt.)

Saturday Mike finished his first mowing of the season. He had just gotten cleaned up and ready for bed when a neighbor dropped by. We love to see people but Mike wears odd combinations of bed clothes. It doesn’t really matter – except when someone comes. The neighbor’s German shorthair, apparently afraid of water, laid aside his fear in order to retrieve one of Mike’s duck decoys from the pond. The decoy serves as a float to mark the aeration hose from the windmill. Oh well -- we have others in storage.
Rain commenced again in the wee hours of Monday (April 30), so we packed up and returned to town. KW

6 comments:

Leah said...

I see Nellie peeking into the photo where you are working on the vegetable garden.

Doesn't Jo Ann's have plain sweatshirts for sale for decorating. Or maybe craft stores like Michaels would sell "blank" sweatshirts. I understand the decorated sweatshirt thing. Almost every one I have is for some holiday or a "souvenir" of some place.

Chris said...

Love the pictures; such a beautiful place you've been blessed with!

The "road sign" is too cute.

Ah, spring planting--always fraught with peril. You've got the right idea; if it grows, you're ahead of the game.

I'm not overly fond of sweatshirts as they are constructed. I usually cut off the bottom ribbing and just hem them. Ditto the sleeves, and then I roll them up if it warm up.

Hallie said...

This blog makes me so happy. I didn't see Nellie until Leah pointed her out--made me laugh. It's always a game of Where's Waldo. You say she jumped up into the plant bed to bury her bone? I think she was making a joke.

Where did you come up with the sign? That made me laugh, too!

Kathy said...

I was amused that Leah beat Hallie to the "Where's Nellie" game. Too bad we can't see more of her. I'm sure the photographer wasn't thinking about her at all.

Nellie does love a good joke when she's feeling playful. Of course, that instinct thing kicks in, too -- the smell of freshly turned dirt, you know.

The road sign was Ken's birthday gift to Mike.

I love the warmth of a sweatshirt and sometimes I even wear a long-sleeved t-shirt underneath. But what a great idea, Chris, to cut off the ribbing! That way it doesn't accentuate the negative.

It is a little difficult to find "blanks" appropriate for embellishment. The other thing I've considered: Do I really want to embellish my chest?

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

Ah gardening on the Palouse. I am more worried about my fruit trees getting pollinated than the veggies right now. Veggies I can manage, but if it's not warm enough for bees - no fruit. ACK!!and when it is actually not freezing while they are blooming too - I thought I had a chance.

Leah said...

Kathy: Turn your creative spirit off for a minute. I meant a blank sweatshirt to stay blank...no embellishment.