Thursday, May 17, 2012

MICROFILM RESEARCH


On the previous post, Leah asked me to tell about the microfilm research. While the research didn't include the individuals in the photograph, I'm starting with this four-generation portrait to help anchor the genealogy. This picture was taken when my mother, Dorothy Portfors, was six years old -- so, about 1916. Standing behind Dorothy is her mother, Nina Mae Sanders Portfors. Seated to the left in the picture is Eliza Brophy Stinson, Mother's great-grandmother, and to the right is Alice Mary Stinson Sanders, her grandmother.

My second cousin Wendy, the genealogist with whom I share the Stinson / Saunders (Sanders) genealogy, mentioned to me that a Stinson cousin passed away in Lewiston in 1922. “An obit would be nice,” she said, and I found myself volunteering to research that. I called the Lewiston Tribune and learned that back issues from 1893 were available on microfilm only at the Lewis-Clark State College Library.  Somehow, though, I could always think of some reason not to visit the library all by myself to do something I’d never done before. So, when Hallie said she was coming to spend Mother’s Day weekend with me, I asked her to accompany me to the LCSC Library to begin family obit research. Wendy had provided a list of missing obituaries and I marked three as priorities.

The staff at the library was very friendly and accommodating. They pulled the three microfilms in question and showed us how to use the reader. They even came by once or twice to check on us.

We started with 1915, looking for an obit for Roy Stinson who died at the age of 25. Roy was the only child of Thomas and Grace Stinson, Thomas being the son of Great-grandmother Eliza Stinson (see photo). Another way to put it -- Roy was a cousin of Nina Portfors. The family no longer remembers why Roy died at that young age, and I kick myself because years ago someone undoubtedly told me and I just don’t remember. When I think of all the family that bridged the gap between Roy and me, it just seems impossible that I can’t find out what they all knew. No, Hallie and I didn’t see a thing about Roy Stinson in the paper we researched (which doesn’t necessarily mean it isn’t there). Neither were we successful in finding an obit for the cousin who passed away in 1922.

Then we went to 1945 because I was certain I could find an article / obit for my mother’s first husband, Fairley Walrath.  Since Fairley was an employee of Potlatch Forest, Inc., a prominent regional industry, I knew the woods accident that took him would be news of the day. Yes, the article had prominent placement on the front page of the May 27, 1945, issue. The disappointment was that it was obviously hastily written and full of errors. For instance, the article reports that he was the son of Harry L. Walrath and the late Mrs. Walrath, but his mother was very much alive, bless her heart. And Harriet points out that both her name and Joni’s were misspelled and the wedding date was incorrect. And then there’s that lame statement by Potlatch that maybe he didn’t hear the cry of “timber.” No wonder the family didn’t save this obit.

Researching for the three obits was enough for one day, but we went on to Lewiston’s Normal Hill Cemetery to seek the Stinson graves. These are "Woodmen of the World" gravestones.

Years ago Mike and I lived half a block from the Normal Hill Cemetery, and one day as I was exploring I came upon these Stinson graves and recognized immediately that they were family. I told my parents and discussion ensued. At that time I had never heard of the “Woodmen of the World” organization, and my dad explained. And I know that we talked about Uncle Tom and Aunt Grace, and Mother undoubtedly said why Roy died. That Memorial Day, we included the Stinsons on our list for bouquets. But I don’t remember the details of our discussion.

Do you know anything about the Woodmen of the World? I’ve already researched online. I’d like to hear from someone who is a member. KW

9 comments:

Leah said...

Kathy, maybe you've already found this or even have a copy of the book. There is a book called "The Idaho Forester" dated 1909. Fairly's photo is in this book along with a couple of mentions of his name! What a treasure. The best part is that it's a free e-book at Google Books.

You can't read Fairly's obit without tearing up. So very sad.

Don't know much about Woodmen of the World, which goes by the acronym WOW. I remember a large (30 ft. high) monument in Mount Washington Cemetery, Independence, MO. Found a photo on the internet. Just google Woodman of the World Mount Washington. A website, called Waymarks, has lots of WOW gravestones. I learned today that a grave marker in the shape of a tree stump with broken limbs signifies a life cut short. You probably already know that.

The Waymarks website has dozens of photos of gravestones for WOW members. Also just read that
Treestones, as they are called, could once be ordered from the Sears catalog. WOW, I mean Wow.

Chris said...

I did some work with microfilm somewhere in my college career, but we all know that's been a while. Do you have to know the general time frame or is there a data base of names and/or events to give some help?

I don't think I've ever heard of Woodmen of the World. I'll have to ask Dan about it.

Kathy said...

Great information in the comments. I have yet to pursue all of it. "The Idaho Forester" appears to be a University of Idaho Dept. of Forestry publication.

I managed to get through college without microfilm research. I wasn't impressed with the assistance of library staff when I was in college, but things have changed. I suspect the college library needs the interest of the public.

But sadly there is no data base for the Lewiston Tribune. The microfilm is filed by dates, so research is totally based on dates. It's not impossible -- just difficult. After a while, the search becomes tedious as you watch the whirring of the filmed pages.

Chris said...

Your comments regarding errors in the article about Fairley remind me that Dan and I have often said that anytime we have personal knowledge about a story in the newspaper we've always found mistakes. Sadly, I guess that means the newspaper isn't such a reliable source of information.

Leah said...

I'd phone the newspaper every time I saw reporting errors. If calling the reporter responsible doesn't seem to help, maybe the next step would be to complain to the next man/woman up the line.

Newspapers are living in a state of fear today because of declining circulation. The last thing they want is unhappy readers.

I have a book about obituary writing and the author explains that writing an obit is often given to the newest ones on the job. The reporter given this unwanted task often feels resentful that he/she can't write about exciting events of the day. So sad. The deceased need respect.

Kathy said...

We depend on newspapers for the accuracy of the public record they provide, but for whatever reason, mistakes occur. Look at all the false info in Fairley's obit, and yet 65 years later these mistakes are still with us.

I think the Lewiston Tribune has someone on staff who assists with obituaries, but they no longer write them as they did in the past. They print what the family submits and there is a charge according to length. In a way, I believe it was actually a better record of the individual when the Trib wrote it. The family submits a tribute from the heart and often leaves out what the genealogist of the future would like to know.

Chris said...

"Look at all the false info in Fairley's obit, and yet 65 years later these mistakes are still with us." My point exactly. And if they *do* print a correction, it's just a little line or two days later, buried somewhere in the paper.

Hallie said...

I did not know those things about Woodmen of the World and the tree with broken limbs.

Microfilm research is fascinating. Again with my wonder at how much that has changed and how much that hasn't. It was a fun trip to the library!

Kathy said...

Corrections are useless all right. I didn't look for a correction on Fairley's obit. Perhaps I should have.

Hallie cautioned me against the distraction of other articles and even the advertising. Interesting stuff in those old newspapers.