Sunday, July 8, 2012

BAKED BEANS FROM THE DUCHESS


It was 68 when I got up this morning and rapidly began to warm, so I dressed hurriedly. Nellie knew instinctively that we were going for an early walk. She was ready and waiting. Knowing it would be hot, I didn’t bake today. I did bake yesterday, though.

According to family lore, my grandfather and his twin brother, Julian and Junius (Jack and June) Dobson, inaugurated the bean industry in Idaho and were dubbed the “Idaho Bean Kings.” I suppose someone could dispute their right to the title, but frankly, I haven’t found enough written history on the subject to prove their kingship one way or another. I really need to write that book, I guess. But I figure if they were kings, then I’m far enough removed that I’m not a princess but a duchess – the “Bean Duchess.”

We are now officially within one week of our “Century Farm” event celebrating 115 years of the Julian and Ina Dobson Homestead. Mike and I are getting ready. Too soon to do this, too late to do that – you know how it goes. But the food must be prepared despite the heat. Yesterday I baked my third batch of baked beans.

I couldn’t find a recipe for baked beans in Ina’s recipe box, but here’s the one my dad liked:

2# small white beans. Soak overnight, drain. Boil until tender but not soft. Drain most of the liquid off and place in a roaster.
Add:  2 large onions, chopped
          1 green pepper, chopped
          1 qt. catsup
          ½ jar Grandma’s molasses
          ½# brown sugar
          1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
          1 ½ tbsp.  Worcestershire sauce
          2# diced bacon, half fried
Bake 4 hours or until moisture is reduced and beans are tender.

I am not a baker of beans, but I decided that in honor of the "Idaho Bean Kings" I wanted to serve “Dobson Baked Beans” at the century event. I started small, making a half batch of the above recipe. That’s when I opined that the amounts of molasses and brown sugar were outrageous!

“Yes,” said Harriet, “your dad’s beans were very sweet.”

So, with my second batch, after research, I modified the recipe. I learned that the preferred method of preparing dry beans is no longer the overnight soak. Instead, I followed the instructions on the back of the Albertsons “Essential Everyday” navy bean sack. It seemed to take some practice in order to do this pre-cook well, but I believe I’ve improved.

I cut back on the catsup, added a little barbecue sauce, used a cup of molasses and half a cup of brown sugar. Other proportions were left the same. And I know people who don’t like green pepper, so I left that out, though to me, the green pepper is a special ingredient. I don’t have a roaster, so I decided to use my Crockpot, which worked well.

“My beans are a little crunchy,” I complained to Harriet. “Maybe I’ll cook them again.”

“If you cook them again,” came her reply, “be sure to add more water.”

Yes! That’s what they needed – water! I can be so dense sometimes. I had noticed thickness and a tendency to brown at the edge of the pot. Water!! That was it. With more water and longer cooking, the beans tenderized, the sauce was juicier, and we liked them. Batch 2 joined Batch 1 in the freezer.

“Should I do it again?” I asked Harriet, and she calculated that maybe I should. So, I started out again, this time more confidently. I used 3 cups of catsup, 1 cup of barbecue sauce (just what I had on hand in the refrigerator), ½ cup molasses, 2/3 cup brown sugar, both onion and green pepper. I also added ½ cup water, though more may be required.

So here it is – Baked Beans from the Bean Duchess:
Prepare two pounds of beans according to your favorite method.
Add:  2 large onions
          1 green pepper, chopped
          3 cups catsup
          1 cup barbecue sauce
          1/2 cup molasses
          2/3 cup brown sugar
          1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
          1 ½ Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
          2# diced bacon half fried
          Add ½ to 1 cup water
Bake 4 hours in an oven (325) or roaster, or cook in Crockpot 6 to 8 hours on low until tender. 

Mike says he liked Batch 2 the best. I'm afraid, however, that I can never really duplicate what I did since I wasn't following the scientific method. Oh well! KW

[As you can see, the fields are no longer a vivid green but are turning more yellow -- baking in the sun.]

7 comments:

Leah said...

Small white beans (navy beans) are the only way to go for baked beans. The small beans allow for more sauce to bean ratio as you deposit a spoonful in your mouth.

Around Memorial Day, I saw Bush's Baked Beans in my Albertsons when I was in a picnic mood. I either chose the Vegetarian or the Maple Cured Bacon (can't remember which). It was SO GOOD! It was definitely sweet, but just right.

Your "Duchess Baked Beans" must be very good. What fun you've had. You don't think so now, but in the future, the family story will be about your baked bean experiments and the story will get better each time it's told.

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

Ah Kathy, LOL, your beans sound good. I hope to make it up to the celebration for a little time before I go off to the folks 65th celebration. I've learned a little bit about the bean industry "back then", but not too much still. It seems no one remembers that sort of thing. I'll give you some bean cooking lessons, too when I get there :~).

Chris said...

I love baked beans although I haven't made "real" ones on forever. Truth be told, I love just about all beans in any form. I love your new title! Do I have to bow??

Kathy said...

No curtsying or bowing to the duchess. If the bean queen comes, maybe she'll show us a few tricks with beans.

It might have been easier -- and perhaps better -- to have purchased 8 or 10 big cans of Bush's Beans. I hope mine are acceptable.

I'm off to shop for that last minute stuff!!!

Leah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah said...

If you had decided to "buy" instead of "bake" your beans, you'd never forgive yourself. It is a bit labor intensive, but I'm sure everyone will enjoy them.

Kathy said...

It's a talking point anyway.