Sunday, August 26, 2012

MOVING DAY



Last Wednesday morning, Mike kissed me good-bye, patted Nellie on the head, pulled on his helmet, and rode off into the sunrise on his Triumph. A report reached me that he had briefly visited with son Milo in Boise and that son Clint fixed him a hamburger in Gooding. Thursday was a long day of riding into Wyoming where he met son Yancey for a long weekend of geocaching now in progress.

In response to Mike’s question as to what I would do while he’s gone, I replied that the time would pass quickly. When you factor in a trip to the farm (Thursday), lunch with a sister (Friday), a day trip with friends (Saturday), caring for the demanding dog (every day) – well, the days just evaporate.

But of course, my big focus has been to move into my studio by the time Mike gets back on Tuesday. The work has been a daily time-consuming challenge. I have worked so hard, and the mess only got worse before it got better, spreading into the living room.

And just what was that work? Well, I tend to keep a lot of “inspiration” in a homely format – notebook upon notebook of articles, patterns, recipes, etc. I love all these pages – ideas I just have to save for future reference.  And all of it has a homely appearance – a treasure trove stored in ugly notebooks. With the coming of the new birth signaled by a hobby room of my own – well, it was time to meet the enemy face to face – to review, save, toss, consolidate.
 
I was grateful I could pursue this process in privacy while Mike was away. Notebook after notebook came out of the closet and the contents spilled onto the living room floor. While “junk” programs played on television, I parted with past inspiration or became inspired all over again. What remains is still shelved in homely notebooks – just less of them.

Today I was finally ready to move 'Nina (Nee-nah, you know) to her new room. Her new table will be delivered this week. The chair is a lightweight from Staples. Hope it holds me!

As Mike was packing for his trip, he pointed with pride to his new travel bag. “It just keeps expanding and expanding,” he said. I replied that I wished my new room would do the same.

Still things to be done with the room. Oh, and I will clutter it unmercifully. Sewing is a cluttery activity. But – now I can close the door. KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Yay!! Looks so good! I know how much work it is, and you're to be congratulated for attacking and conquering!! That buffalo is on its last leg. And you ordered a new sewing table? Looking forward to seeing a picture.

Leah said...

Oh what fun. Sure the sorting is hard, but the end result is what matters. Such a nice tidy room!