Monday, August 13, 2012

WASTING NO TIME . . .



It only seems like I’m making snap decisions as I furnish my new “studio.” Over the years I’ve given a lot of thought to what my room would need.

After Mike’s bike ride Sunday morning, we went to Home Depot and bought the Closet Maid units – two of them (#12316) – just like the one he assembled for the laundry room. We had already measured the room, determined how much space the sofa would need, and moved the bookcase.
 
It took Mike three hours to assemble the first unit Sunday afternoon, but he accomplished the second one in two hours this morning.

 
The Closet Maid units aren’t great furniture, but I love them. Even though they’re rather expensive ($185.00 each), I just haven’t seen a better option at any price. Mike doesn’t claim to be a carpenter, but as a mechanic he has good assembly skills and he’s a pro at adjusting the hinges. (At least I’m impressed!)
 
This afternoon the sofa was delivered, the deep red a nice contrast with the white cupboards. I love it! 

With the sofa in place, Mike affixed the cabinets to the wall.  Now I can organize my stuff. I fear it’s really not enough storage for what I have in mind, but I’ll deal with it.

I didn’t know it would be such a light room. KW

7 comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

Always a good idea to have a good light room, IMHO, anyeay.

Kathy said...

I agree, Dr. Molly. The room has been so full of furniture with the headboard against the window, and I kept the blind closed. It's lovely that it can serve another purpose.

Leah said...

How exciting! An empty room to fill with your favorite things. The cabinets are lovely. Having doors to close will make for a tidy room, too.

Since the sofa is a dark color, you'll be able to find loose threads (or even needles). Maybe you don't have that problem, but every time I get out my sewing basket, I have threads & lost needles to recover when I'm finished.

That reminds me, my sewing basket doesn't get much use, but when it does see daylight, I'm treated with the music box inside. It plays "Buttons & Bows."

Chris said...

Oh, I love the look of those cabinets! Do you have them filled up yet? :-) Your room is really coming together and will be such a good place for creating. I'm looking forward to more pictures.

Chris said...

Oh, and Dad says he's deeply envious of anyone who can adjust hinges properly.

Chris said...

Bummer--that's supposed to be DAN, no Dad...

Kathy said...

I've only made a start at filling the cabinets. Yes, I'll show you when I'm finished.

LOL - I only mentioned the hinges because one reviewer said the doors didn't fit together correctly so they drilled new holes and still couldn't get them to fit. Ours overlapped at first and I said "oh no!" But Mike said, "We aren't finished yet," and began adjusting the hinges, speedily bringing them into alignment.

"Buttons and Bows" -- what a good tune for a sewing basket.