Monday, September 3, 2012

A TRIP TO THE ATTIC




Wiley tactician that I am, I knew the mice would return to the scene of their successful bread raid the previous night. In the process of investigation and cleaning, I found another spot (in the den under the gun rack, of all places), where I thought we might successfully ambush. After dinner last night, I loaded an old plate with bread and cake crumbs and left it near the toaster. Then I gave instructions to the trap-setter to leave the area laden with traps.

I was awake at 5:45 this morning. I like to get up early, but I stayed in bed trying to outwait Mike. Finally I couldn’t stand it any longer. I put on my robe and crept to the kitchen to survey the damage. Score! We got two in the kitchen and one under the gun rack. Yes! And there’s not a scratch coming from the walls today.

The farmhouse attic has been floored and is useful for storage. We access it by means of pull-down stairs. Getting up there is manageable. I can do it by myself.

The mice are getting into the walls somehow, so an exploratory trip to the attic was in order. We could see that the three circular holes in the attic floor relating to recessed lighting in the closets had been used by the mice and might provide easy egress to the walls. We never use the lights, so we decided it wouldn’t hurt to cover the holes with plastic buckets, Cool Whip containers, or even this old wooden bowl that’s been kicking around in the farmhouse ever since I can remember. Even though it really didn’t matter, I decided to give the bowl a cursory cleaning. That’s when I saw the word “Munising” on the underside. I couldn’t help myself. It was an opportunity to research.
 
The bowls were machine-lathed at a factory in Munising, MI, which operated between 1911 and 1955, and sold through department stores. During World War II, the company made tent stakes for the government. After the war, the bowls became fancier, decorated by artisans with paint, and those command more money in today’s collectors’ market. In 1955, the company closed, unable to compete with plastics and imported wood products.
 
Could our bowl have been a gift to Grandma Ina? Maybe. Whatever – it did not get much respect in this place, even before my time. It feels sticky and grimy. I know my dad loved the myrtle wood bowls available on the coast, but I think he saw this bowl as common, readily available department store stuff. And in light of his time, he may have been right. Fifty-five years after the factory closed, a lot of items manufactured there are available through online sellers. Obviously whoever used our bowl didn’t understand how to care for it. Mike and I will try to revive it. I would never serve food in a wooden bowl, but it might be lovely filled with country apples, prunes, or pine cones.

Hmmm. I seem to remember an old wooden spoon tucked away in my utensil drawer. Ah yes! Here it is. This curved spoon seems such a nice accompaniment to the bowl. Were they a set? Maybe so, though I saw only straight spoons in my research.

Oh, and I also brought down this painting by Helen Hoff Aupperle, an artist and also art teacher in Idaho Falls. She was a contemporary of my uncle, Earle Dobson, who taught in Idaho Falls for nearly 30 years, retiring about 1960. Maybe the painting was a gift from Mrs. Aupperle, or maybe he bought it because he wanted a sample of her work. I remembered it for its color and what I felt was a ‘40s/’50s appeal. I thought it might be good in my town sewing room, but alas! I also remembered it smaller.  KW

6 comments:

Hallie said...

So, is the wooden bowl not going to cover a light hole after all?

The fruit trees look great!

What are the dimensions of the picture that you remembered smaller?

Chris said...

Oh, how I laughed as I read this!! Great writing!!! As a matter of fact, Mom and Dad were here and I got to read it aloud to Mom, so we both enjoyed it. Too fun!

Kathy said...

I haven't decided the future of the bowl. It has definitely seen use. I worked on it this morning with steel wool and a product called "New Life for Wood" that we bought at the fair one year. But in looking at it this evening, I can't say that I think it's a beautiful bowl.

The appearance of the apple tree is deceptive. The fruit is quite wormy. This next year Mike won't be working and maybe we can spray the trees. I did pick an apple yesterday and tasted it -- plenty tart. I think the apples are better when it's cooler. Someone would have to enlighten me because I really don't know.

The picture is 20"w x 26"l. And one does have to get back from it to appreciate it. I'm no art connoisseur, but I rather suspect it's not one of Mrs. Aupperle's finest works. I can see her standing in front of her art class quickly demonstrating techniques to her students. Undoubtedly she did that. However, she also painted some very fine illustrations of Native Americans as well as landscapes.

Hallie said...

I hope Dr. Molly stops by. I'd like to know how she treats her trees. Maybe we could have success with an organic spray?

Chris said...

Dan says, "Rat (or mouse) rice ain't nice." What a poet he is!! And then he said, "Fresh meat for breakfast!" when I read him the tale of your "hunt".

Do you want me to throw a pillow at him??

Kathy said...

There's actually someone here who's just as bad. In fact, I have several stories I shouldn't tell. I'm glad you and your mom enjoyed my story.

And -- even as I write this, we are developing tomorrow's installment.

Dr. Molly might know -- or Uncle Dan might -- or the nursery people in Orofino. We can find advice.