Friday, September 7, 2012

IT HAPPENED RIGHT HERE!

 I was working away at my computer, occasionally glancing out the living room window.

"Pthooo, pthooooooo," came the breathy sound of the giant balloon that appears in my neighborhood from time to time. It was flying low, and that was my cue to grab the camera and head for the porch. Nellie jumped up when I did and disappeared as soon as I opened the door. There were three or four people in the basket, one of whom was obviously in command and doing the talking. Three people walked below in my street.


 "See the utility line?" called the commander. "Do you see the utility line?" he demanded again.

"Yes," one of the walkers called.

"Well, not there -- in the driveway." And in a moment he tossed a line . . .
which was caught by the three on the ground, who began tugging with all their might. However, they couldn't bring the big balloon straight down, and it was still airborne, drifting just above the street when the commander spoke in a panicked tone:
 "Don't let us hit the car. Don't let us hit the car. Don't let us hit the car!" The three tugged harder. One person in the basket put her hands out to keep the basket from hitting the pick-up but quickly drew them back inside the basket when admonished.


The basket hit the pick-up. After some discussion as to whether the "car" had been scratched, everyone seemed satisfied that there was no damage.
I felt as though I could just reach out and touch the big colorful balloon. 
Poor thing! No more "pthoooo." The crew folded up the balloon, a rather time-consuming task. Then balloon and basket were tucked into a trailer and driven off. I suppose they were here about an hour.

When I looked for her, I found Nellie in her kennel, that safest of all places. KW

6 comments:

Hallie said...

THAT is exciting! Nellie was afraid of the balloon? Poor thing.

Kathy said...

Yes, Nellie was afraid of that colorful "pthoooo-er." But -- it was just a load of hot air, "false evidence appearing real." Hard to explain that to a dog.

Chris said...

Wow!! How close-up can you get?!? How cool, and maybe a little frightening given the situation. Glad I wasn't in the basket!

I got your email, so we'll see how this comment goes.

Kathy said...

I had the same thought -- that I was glad I wasn't in that basket. I probably would have tried to climb out. I'm not afraid of heights when it comes to traveling a familiar steep, windy grade, but I don't like riding on swinging gondolas. I'm sure I wouldn't like being in the basket.

Leah said...

Wow, what an adventure. What I don't understand is how the balloon pilot came so close to a neighborhood with houses, cars & POWER LINES all around. Maybe he didn't plan on getting into your area, but it sure seems reckless to me.

Kathy, did you ever think that the people in the balloon saw you taking photos & knew that if they hit any cars, you would have evidence for the insurance companies?

Kathy said...

Our town neighborhood is located on one side of a draw. (Not big enough to be a canyon but bigger than a gulley.) So they often soar over us and they've come close to the house before. The navigator just had a problem and this is where he had to put down, I guess.

And yes, they knew I was taking pictures, and I'm sure I was within my rights to do so from my porch. The pick-up in question belonged to a yard worker. He was available should there have been a problem. This was not clandestine. A number of us were watching.