Sunday, October 21, 2012

THE BLOG MUSE



Somehow summer in our corner of the world overstayed its welcome, in my opinion. I’ve been ready to get on with autumn for several weeks, but without that chill in the air, as pleasant as those late summer days are, I just can’t get in the mood for holiday prep, and it’s time! The holiday silent auction is a month away (Nov. 20) and that same week is Thanksgiving (Nov. 22 -- early this year). Now I’m feeling a little pushed to finish things I promised. Feeling the push, a bit of the “blues,” lack of confidence in topic – and my muse goes away.

Today we came back to the farm for a couple of days. Except for a brief visit ten days ago, this is our first stay here since Elderberry Fest. I found the dishwasher full of clean dishes – lots of mugs and cereal bowls, the coffee pot still on the counter, and there’s that cookbook that Hallie returned. It’s a little lonely without Hallie and Nick all right, but they will be back . . .

The low in town was around 32 this morning and it was 42 when we arrived at the farm. We could tell there had been wind and rain, but the furniture was still on the porch. We scouted for elderberries and game birds, observed that the deer have been eating Italian prunes, picked up small limbs in the yard, trimmed back the hollyhocks, and found the garbage can lid. Mike lit the pilot light on the wall furnace and let it run for a while. This evening a cheery fire will burn in the fireplace.

It’s not a really beautiful fall. A long, hot, dry summer does not produce beautiful fall color. However, in the photo left, this “Autumn Purple Ash” at the town house is an exception, perhaps because it’s located on our drip system. In this picture it glows in early morning sunlight. The silver maple in the farm yard, below, does not show beautiful autumn color any year.

The garden, on the south side of the farmhouse, isn’t quite convinced that it’s fall. The strawberries are producing new leaves and even blossoms! I trimmed off the blossoms, covered the plants with pine straw, and told them good-night. I found two young zucchini that I picked for our supper – and one carrot that I missed last month.
 
This afternoon my sewing time was devoted to shortening three pair of Koret denim pants. I would rather have done something else, but I do have that feeling of accomplishment.

And just one last note for today. While we were hiking this morning, a coyote crossed our path and headed on down toward the canyon.


Photos:
1) From south of the farm yard.
2) Mike and Nellie head around the pond to see if they can find a covey of Hungarian partridge. No, but they had been there not long before.
3) Looking northwesterly from the canyon rim -- beyond Central Ridge to the Melrose Country.
4)  An "Autumn Purple Ash" in Clarkston.
5) The silver maple my dad planted in the farm yard years ago.
6) Nellie, her chin pressed to the windowsill, watching Mike as he works in the yard.  KW





5 comments:

Hallie said...

There has been no muse, motivation, or inspiration here. I was sick on Friday and Saturday I slept a full 12 hours only to get up long enough to eat and shower before going back to bed. Today was better but I'm weak.

That is a very pretty tree in town! There was a short feature on PBS about a farm in Michigan where they extend their harvest by covering the plants with a layer of plastic (sometimes two layers). You could have strawberries in November!

Kathy said...

I'm sorry you were sick. Rest is the best thing. I was trying to read while Mike watches football, but I can't stay awake. I'm headed to bed to listen to an old-time radio show and likely fall asleep.

Yes, for those who have time and opportunity, you can practice some tricks to lengthen the growing season or protect your crops.

Chris said...

I told Dan on our way to church that fall had arrived and it felt good. Dan finally put the front porch geranium away and pulled out the bale of hay this week, and yesterday I hung the Indian corn beside the door and put the old battered scarecrow on the rocker. It just didn't seen time before. It's hard to believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner and Christmas two months away.

Oh, and I hemmed one pair of jeans the other day and have another pair to do tomorrow. No fun for sure, but as you say, an accomplishment.

Chris said...

Hallie, I hope you are feeling better!

Kathy said...

At almost 10:00 a.m. it's still 33 degrees here at the farm. And the weatherman is talking about snow in the mountains. Looks like we're moving from relative warmth to winter. Interesting trends. ..