Sunday, November 11, 2012

TO GO -- OR NOT TO GO



It was just about three weeks ago that we left the farm in order to prepare for “The Great Pumpkin Excursion” to Denver. 
 


It’s a whole different world at Gilbert now.

Yesterday, Mike suggested we run to the farm today just to check on things. Okay, I said. This morning he asked if I would prefer to spend a couple of days. Well, it seemed silly to do that in this cold spell unless we planned a longer stay. (It takes a day just to heat the house when it’s cold.) We then considered abandoning the day trip and going later in the week when it’s a little warmer. And then we returned to the original plan – make a short trip today for peace of mind. That’s what we did. I’m so glad we can still think and make our own decisions! We arrived at the farm about 10:15 and stayed until after lunch.

I had a few things to do. I packed up my Sunbeam/Oster Kitchen Center and set in its place my red KitchenAid. I love it there! And the fact that the KitchenAid stands a little tall is not an issue on that counter. Actually, my plan was to use it in the farm kitchen anyway, so it’s finally where it belongs. And while I was working in the kitchen, I traded out the apple plates for the Christmas plates. I put the Halloween books back on the shelf and checked out some vintage cookbooks with holiday ideas. Soon I was packed for the return trip.
 
Mike had planned to cut some kindling but it just wasn’t the right day. He said he wasn’t feeling energetic. (Three days of hunting in a row and a sleepless night will do that.) And besides, the temp hovered at freezing and he made frequent trips to the wall furnace to warm his hands. He folded the clothesline and tied it for the winter, checked out the barn, and brought furniture in off the porch.  He also disposed of three mice and re-set the traps.
 
After a hot lunch of leftovers, we packed up and returned to town. The sky was dark and we saw a few snowflakes. Can’t say if it will amount to much. KW

5 comments:

Hallie said...

Those are some very interesting snow cicles off the eaves. Also, the red mixer looks great there!

Chris said...

I agree with Hallie--the red mixer is perfect at the farm! And it will be perfect for mixing up Christmas cookies!!! I'm starting to get in the mood for the holidays and pictures such as yours are spurring me on. :-)

Kathy said...

I'm already feeling a time crunch of sorts. "Oh well," I tell myself, "there's always another Christmas."

Yesterday I ordered a "Merry Grinchmas" quilt kit in memory of the little girl who used to live at my house. And then another company was clearing suitable backing fabric -- and I ordered that. I think of it as doing my part to help the sluggish economy.

Chris said...

Well done! As you always say, you keep Christmas in your heart all year. :-) I just finished piecing a Christmas table runner and hope to get it quilted today. I hope it will work on the new coffee table. If not, I have the dining room table and the breakfast nook table. I'm even thinking of baking some cookies and stashing them in the freezer. Let the festivities begin!!

I love your phrase "in memory of the little girl who used to live at my house."

Hallie said...

I love the Grinch!