Saturday, December 8, 2012

BY MY FIRESIDE (PART 4)



December 1936
Ina put the magazine down and rose to stoke the fire. If nothing else, she enjoyed the reveries this article sparked, and she decided to keep the fire burning a while longer.

“As the evening slips away,” the article continued, “some of my guests leave for a candlelight service, where they join in singing the glorious old carols that are so much a part of every Christmas Eve.”   Ina had heard of Christmas Eve services in the cities and wished she might attend one sometime. Here in the country where the minister came but once a month, if that, such a service was unheard of.
 


And as for singing carols, when Vance was home the farmhouse was filled to the rafters with beautiful booming piano chords. Such strong accompaniment seemed to give confidence, and everyone sang out in loud voices. Without Vance’s touch, it just wasn’t the same, and Ina reflected sadly that Vance had not been home for Christmas since 1925. But Ethel had a fine alto voice and was an experienced church choir leader. She might lead the singing of a few carols.  

[The photograph is of my dad, Vance, taken in Raymond, WA, in 1936. The illustrations are from the booklet, Christmas Carols, published by Whitman Publishing Company in 1938 and 1952. The illustrations always sparked my imagination, and I suspect my mother was responsible for that. During the days before Christmas, I would choose this book for story time, and Mother would read the pictures and the carols to me. And when I was old enough to learn to play carols on the piano, this was the book I used.] KW

4 comments:

Hallie said...

Did the family really sing carols together? I sometimes sing to carols on the radio when I'm in the car but I'm not very good at remembering lyrics.

Kathy said...

I think families in that time frame made their own music. Nowadays we have access to so much good reproduction of professionals that it has caused us to become unappreciative of our own "joyful noise."

I have no proof that the family sang carols together -- just drew conclusions from what I know. I have fictionalized the story. When it's your turn, you'll have to read the letters for yourself.

When I was about four, Mom and Daddy taught me to sing "Away in a Manger." My siblings would harmonize as I sang, and I was taught to concentrate on my part -- the melody. So, when Daddy had me sing for Aunt Ethel, she harmonized with me and was impressed that I was not distracted.

Hallie said...

I CANNOT harmonize. I just don't know how it's done but I sure like how it sounds!

Chris said...

I can't sing, period. But I love to listen to harmony. :-)