Monday, December 24, 2012

NOT A CREATURE WAS STIRRING . . . REALLY?



It was snowing when we got up at 7:00. Yes, a white Christmas at Gilbert. Thank goodness Hallie and Nick left yesterday. Mike said he thought if we could get up Plank’s Pitch we could make it out. I offered to leave stuff behind for another trip, but he said the more weight in the back the better. After we ate our left-over “Christmas Day” waffles for breakfast, we started packing the pick-up.

Truth be told, I didn’t unpack much of what we brought in last week – just worked out of the boxes and baskets. So, yesterday I spent a little time consolidating this and that and the boxes were good to go. It seems like every bit as much goes out as comes in. I can never figure that out.

We left the farm at 9:00 -- three inches of snow and snowing. I didn’t pause to take pictures. We travelled steadily up Plank’s Pitch without difficulty, but Mike said he was afraid if we had stayed another day we’d have been snowed in. The upper half of the grade was snow floor but became slushier as we approached Orofino. No snow at Lewiston.

Back at the town house, we unloaded the pick-up and I commenced to unpack. I filled the kitchen sink with water – and that’s when I spied it . . .

MOUSE SIGN!!!! NO!!!!! Not on Christmas Eve!

“I wonder if they got into the pantry,” said Mike. Standing in the open doorway, he proclaimed, “Nope. No mouse sign here.”

“Oh yes there is,” I said, elbowing him out of the way. All I had to do was move a box or two – and there it was.

Cleaning the pantry is not what I would choose to do on Christmas Eve, but I removed everything stored on the floor and mopped. Then I removed everything on the bottom shelf and cleaned. And, of course, I put everything back. And that’s as far as I went today.

Where is the mouse now, we wonder. And I’m nervous about that. We were successful some weeks back with a couple of traps, and then we left them out for weeks. I guess we just thought we had won so we took the traps to the farm, where we know the war is never over. So, out we went to buy more traps which Mike will set tonight. Because . . . regardless of what the old poem tells us, if they're here, they'll stir. KW

[Ina took the "panorama" the winter of 1934, a northward view from the farmyard.]

2 comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

Oh no! And it's spreading - I've been invaded in the house, too. I guess I could not catch enough of them in the chicken house.

Kathy said...

Mike set traps at bedtime the 24th and got up to check them an hour later. We trapped one -- haven't seen any more sign. He was ready to put the traps away, but I said I would leave them out in less conspicuous places, one of them being a corner of my sewing room.

I grew up in a big old house in Orofino, and I don't remember mice or the discussion of mice as a problem. Perhaps there were enough cats around to keep the mice away.