Monday, December 31, 2012

OFF TO THAT OTHER WORLD



Yesterday we untrimmed the tree. I sure hated to see it go. . . Shirley Jean to her uncle Vance, January 1937

I guess kids in any era hate to see the Christmas tree go. I know I did. But I learned as I got older that taking down the Christmas tree is real work. As Christmas became New Year’s, the prospect of untrimming and putting away loomed large.


My mother was particular about her ornaments and the manner in which they were packed. Untrimming the tree and putting away the ornaments was a day’s work in itself, and – let’s face it – just not as much fun as trimming the tree.
 
To accommodate my country life, I have streamlined the process considerably. I wonder what my mother would say if she knew I hardly use my collection of ornaments, a good share of which she gave me. Helping her family amass ornaments was one of her missions in life. However, my tree goes up and comes down quickly, and that’s what’s important today.
 
Well, yesterday was the designated day of work at the farm. As we left the town house, a lone little snowflake danced before my face. By the time we reached the highway, more of them were dancing. They didn’t stick – there was no accumulation here in the valley -- but halfway up the Gilbert Grade, then it was another world, beautifully adorned in white. The grade became slippery and we went slowly in four-wheel drive. At the farm, we estimated 6 to 8 inches of snow. The little snowflakes continued to dance, but now they were adding to the accumulation.
 
I set to work untrimming the tree, finishing it within two hours. Then Mike used a sled to carry the tree to storage in the barn – sorta like “bringing home the Christmas tree” in reverse.

And then the work began in earnest. I unloaded the contents of the refrigerator into crates and boxes, added in a few things from the pantry that don’t fare well in the cold, and together we loaded the pick-up for the trip back to town. Then Mike set the mousetraps, turned off the water and drained the pipes.

It was about 2:30 when we left the farm, driving at a steady pace down the lane to the gulley at the bottom, and then up-up-up until we had topped Plank’s Pitch. “Made it!” said Mike. And on we went through the white world until, halfway down the grade, we were once again in warmer valley temps and out of the snow.

After we visited the landfill, we stopped near the airport to get a geocache. This picture is of the south side of the Clearwater, contrasting the snow of the high country with the drab winter brown of the valley.

Once we were back at the town house, we had more work to do in order to assimilate all that food into our freezers and refrigerator. Fortunately some of it can stay in the garage because it’s quite cold right now, but Mike and I have some serious eating to do.

And now I feel such relief! That seasonal work is done. KW

6 comments:

Chris said...

It's the truth--taking down the Christmas tree (as we called the untrimming process) is not fun. I remember when I was growing up that New Year's Day seemed to be the official day to do it, and one year I remember helping take down several trees in our neighborhood.

Such beautiful pictures! Your story of leaving the farm makes me think of a Little House scene. :-)

Kathy said...

I think we called it "taking down the Christmas tree" as well. Ina doesn't seem to use that phrase. Shirley Jean says they "untrimmed" the tree, and Ina said they "moved the tree out." New Year's Day was Mother's official day to take it down, and that seems to be Ina's way as well. Perhaps that's what most of us do.

Now the exterior lighting displays will disappear, mostly all at once.

Leah said...

Love your vintage cards. They bring back such sweet memories.

The farmhouse photo in the snow is a keeper. In fact, that would be perfect for a Christmas card. Hint. Hint. With the snow on the roof, icy branches in the foreground & snow falling. The green roof for color. The wreath on the door. I just LOVE it.

Hallie said...

The decorations are down here, too. There weren't very many, but I finished the job on Saturday.

Chris said...

Well, I'd better fess up that our decorations will be up for at least another week. I love the lights and the chance to really enjoy all the decorations in the dark days of January. (Although with the snow and cold weather we have, these last days are are wonderfully light.)

Kathy said...

Your days may be wonderfully light, but your night still comes early. Ina said she liked Christmas because it helps to pass the dark months. I felt it wise to take the tree down because we were closing the farmhouse, but here in town the Dept. 56 houses still cast their glow, and I'm also burning candles -- have one right here on the coffee table. I say, more power to you!