Thursday, April 25, 2013

SPRING AWAKENING



Mike and I drove to the farm on Monday (April 22). As we rode along, I was mentally organizing the many chores that awaited me. I would start by cleaning the refrigerator, I decided. But as Mike and I compared notes, it was obvious that he was anxious about his primary task -- bringing the magic of water to our house. All of my chores hinged on his success.

As the farmhouse hove into view from Plank’s Pitch, Mike observed that it was still there. Heading on up the lane I noticed something in the road.

“What was that?” I queried.
“What was what? What did it look like?”

Sometimes words fail me, and I just didn't want to say it, but when we got to the farmyard, the truth was abundantly visible. The horses from the canyon had been there again, leaving too many “calling cards” to count. (This has happened before -- here.) We didn’t see the horses until late afternoon, hiding in a draw south of the house. Once they knew they were discovered, they headed to higher ground to watch us. Mike rode off on his dirt bike (the 4-wheeler is in town for maintenance) in hopes of chasing them back to the canyon, but by the time he reached the top of the hill, they were gone and he couldn’t see them.
 
So, we added “clean up yard” to our list of chores for the two-day stay. Mike called the outfitter in the canyon and told him his horses had visited us. We hope that’s enough to correct the matter.

So, the good news is that we have manure again, but of course, it has to age before it can be used.

Mike turned on the pump, the tanks, and the water without incident and I washed the refrigerator as planned. One by one we tested the faucets, the dishwasher, the washing machine until we were confident that the pipes and hoses survived the winter.

But I tell you what – it’s still chilly. We heard the same thing everywhere as we traveled – it was a cold spring. I just hope we’ll the fruit trees will bear this summer.

When we first come to the farm in the spring, we usually note a pair of ducks on the pond. The minute they see us – and Nellie – they turn tail and fly away. This year we noted the duck pair, but they didn’t run. Well, at least the male didn’t run. We think that Mike’s mallard decoy may have given him the courage to stay on the pond, and I was able to get some pictures. I suppose he could be guarding a nest – just don’t know. I identified him as a “Lesser Scaub,” also known as a “Bluebill.” Late Tuesday afternoon he finally “spooked” and flew as I tried to position myself for a better picture.
 
Over on the neighbor’s pond, we saw a swan as well as ducks, but I didn’t have the camera. Maybe they’ll still be there this weekend. KW

[Photos: 
1) Horses in the draw. The one apart is a mule, I think, and he seems to be the leader. 2) The horses on higher ground. 3) Mike heads out on his dirt bike in an attempt to chase them. 4) Nellie says, "What is he up to now? I hope I'm not in trouble because I didn't follow." 5) Bluebill on the pond. 6) Bluebill and his friend the decoy.]

3 comments:

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

Oh what fun! I envy you your "summer home" - what a wonderful time.

Kathy said...

Well, I don't consider that I live an enviable life, but I try to place a positive spin on the life that we inherited. I envy you your wealth of knowledge so that I might deal with this old place. I grew up a "town kid" so I don't know a lot about coping with a garden here. I do know that things don't grow well in the heavy soil, and that's what we have.

Actually, the best soil is where the chicken house and hog lot used to be. And that's now where Mike treasures the best lawn.

Chris said...

Love the duck! (Both real and um, unreal...). At least you can use the leavings for good in a while. Hope they didn't tear your yard up too much.

And now I'm off to bed!! (Still brain dead!)