Monday, May 13, 2013

MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND -- PICTORIAL REVIEW



Pepper’s folks came to pick her up on Saturday. We had lunch and shared a nice afternoon.
 







After Pepper and Party left, Nellie and I took our customary afternoon walk while Mike rode his bike. She enjoyed moving along at her own pace, poking her snout into rodent holes as the spirit moved her. Then she sat down on the drive to await Mike's return. They say dogs don't see well, but Nellie can see Mike on the road as soon as he comes into view. Then she goes to the head of the lane and nonchalantly pokes around while he rides up that last pitch. "Oh hello!" she says. "What a surprise to see you here!"

Sunday, Mike dug some rhubarb starts for us from a nearby “rhubarb grove.” The owner gave us starts last year, but when she heard those plants are struggling, she suggested we try again. This time we brought five crowns and planted them on the bank behind the clothesline. We’ll see.

Having finished that job, we headed to Orofino to geocache.

If you had told me when I was in high school that in my 60s I would hike steep trails above Dworshak Dam, I would have said, “not me!” The cache was located at the granite quarry. The picture on the left is of the Clearwater River. The picture on the right shows Russell Ridge, where our farm is located.

This picture was taken at the Ahsahka Cemetery. I had never been here – didn’t even know it exists. Mike found two caches on the hillside above the cemetery. Too bad he had to make two trips.

We had hoped to find a cache at the Dworkshak Dam visitor center. However, the road was gated and locked. “No trespassing – U. S. Government” read the sign. Hours are Monday through Friday. If you want to visit the center on the weekend, forget it. (Maybe they have summer hours – I don’t know.)

We had lunch at Subway, picked up a few groceries, and headed back to the farmhouse. I chopped up some stalks of rhubarb that I pulled at the rhubarb grove and made a crostata for dessert. KW

4 comments:

Kasey P said...

The pictures are beautiful. Hope one day I can see it in person.

Hallie said...

Such good photos!

Kathy said...

Welcome Kasey! The country here is very different from southern Idaho. We look forward to showing it to you.

Hi Hallie!

Chris said...

I agree with the others--wonderful pictures!