Friday, May 17, 2013

SPRING WORK



We had summer last week. This week it’s sweatshirt weather again, and Mike says there’s no warm weather in sight. “Oh well,” I say, “maybe the rhubarb, the peas, the spinach and the radishes will like it.”

Tell you what, though – it’s dry, dry, dry. The need to carry water to my garden beds is quite evident.

The dryness was also evident as the farmer worked the fields. The house and grounds here are surrounded by fields – all of them planted in garbanzo beans (garbs) this spring. First they spread the beans. Then they tamped. Then they sprayed fertilizer (or something). And every time they worked, it created clouds of dust. “Are they ever going to be finished?” Mike demanded to know.

Well, I simply can’t be expected to clean house while dust swirls in the breeze. Instead we did outside things.

Mike has done a number of scary chores with my assistance. He cleaned the roof outside the east dormer by securing a ladder to a rope. He climbed out the corner window, braced himself on the ladder, and I passed him a small pail of water and cleaning materials. Then, using a staple gun, he attached wire fencing to the braces where the birds like to roost. I took no pictures of this feat. I was afraid they would be his last. 

 
Mike also undertook to remove pine boughs resting on the old woodshed. I do have pictures of that. I held the ladder while he cut the limbs. I always think the woodshed is rather picturesque. 

 
I'm not sure when the woodshed was built. Someday I'll research pictures and see what I can determine.




Today Mike said he was tired, and I encouraged him to take it easy. Next thing I knew we were trimming the old apple trees down by the pond. Nick and Hallie pruned the healthiest one last year, and Mike was so impressed with its appearance this spring that he decided to trim the deadwood out of the others. Again, I was the assistant. There’s a lot of down time in assisting and I politely declined to participate again this afternoon.
 
But in the process of this work, Mike decided he has to have a new lightweight chainsaw. Believe me, if Mike says he needs a new chainsaw, he needed it at least two years ago. He loves to keep things running. So, he did the research and plans to get one when we’re in town. KW


6 comments:

Hallie said...

Such motivation! Looks like we'll be set for another Christmas bonfire. I'm glad Dad did some work on the tree.

Kathy said...

Christmas bonfire -- exactly what he said.

I subscribe to the theory that when we no longer work outside the home we lose the ability to structure our day, that is, we no longer know what a day's work should be. Your dad doesn't pace himself well. I, on the other hand, I pace myself too well.

Chuck said...

I am looking forward to getting the information about the new lightweight chainsaw. With all his research, what brand and size did he select? I had two Homelites, and was looking at a Stihl when I decided I no longer needed one.

Kathy said...

Hi Chuck!

About the saw -- it's a small Homelite, 9.7 pounds, 14-inch bar, 35 cc engine. Cost: $109 at Home Depot with 2-year warranty. Mike says he knows it's not the greatest quality, but he will use it for limbing and light work. (He does have other saws.) He called the Lewiston Home Depot store to ask questions. He'll pick it up next week.

Other features:
tool-less chain tensioning
automatic oiler
Model UT10549

The reviews were not the highest -- 3 out of 5 stars. However, those who indicated they know saws and how to maintain them rated this model highly for the price.

Mike plans to use the saw right away. He figures he will know within the 30-day return period whether or not he wants the saw.

Chris said...

Oh, I know how you feel when Mike is up high. I'm the same way! Too scary--I hate it. Dan insists he's fine, and I'm sure Mike says the same thing. Yikes!!

Kasey P said...

Ha, ha. Sounds just like Milo. He loves to fix things, and fix them, and fix them some more!