Sunday, September 1, 2013

SUMMER'S LAST HURRAH



Mike and I loaded up and headed out to the farm last Monday (August 26). Loading and un-loading always feels like a day’s work to me, and this time we had to carry the DIY cabinet upstairs to “Hallie’s room” piece by piece. I was glad to help.

Sunday Mike had cycled 66 miles, so Monday was his recovery day. I picked two cups of strawberries and made a pie.

Tuesday Mike rode his Yamaha XT-225 to Orofino to pick up a geocache for the August challenge (we have to find one every day in August, remember) and a few supplies. In the afternoon he put together the DIY cabinet. “This is my third one,” he said.

“This is your fourth,” I reminded him. But who’s counting? -- and I hope I can get yet another out of him. (More on this cabinet project later.)

Wednesday was my birthday. The weather was unsettled, but Mike was ready for another bike ride and this time he headed toward Nezperce. In the evening we loaded the dogs into the pick-up and drove into Orofino. We found a geocache on Eureka Ridge, and then we had dinner at the Mexican restaurant. During dinner, Mike gazed into my eyes with affection and said, “Next year we’ll have to enroll you in Medicare.” After dinner we stopped in the city park to let the dogs out at the river for a few minutes.

Thursday morning we picked pears. I have a love/hate relationship with the pear tree. Pears require know-how to ripen effectively. I made room in the refrigerator and placed a small tub of pears on one shelf to cool. We’ll see. Last year’s experiment with pears did not go well and the drying process didn’t happen. This year I will buy a box of pears for drying on our next stay, regardless of what happens here.

Thursday afternoon Mike got ready to make yet another trip to Orofino for a geocache – still picking up one a day in August. (I can hardly wait for August to be over!) The sky was dark, but he thought it probably wouldn’t rain – and it’s true that we never know where the “isolated thunderstorm” will hit. He hadn’t been gone five minutes when it began to pour. Thank goodness he was able to take refuge in a neighbor’s machine shed until the storm had mostly passed. Then he came back to the house to wait a while before heading out again. The storm moved off and the sun came back with all its afternoon warmth.

Friday we returned to our town home. Mike had errands to run and I was anxious to take care of the mail, including items I ordered as “staycation” rewards. Before we left I took the picture on the right showing the air more clear than it has been in days. (Compare with picture on the left taken earlier in the week during controlled field burning.)

And here it is – Labor Day weekend. It seems like the summer went by in a blur as now we prepare to say good-bye to the vegetable garden. And you know, that’s just okay. I’m a little tired of the drill – water, water, water, pick, pick, pick. And of course, there’s still some of that to be done, depending upon when the frost hits.

Last night Mike and I had a “corn fest” with the bounty from our corn patch – one full ear and four stubby ones. That was it.

The five tomato plants here in town look good, shielded from the sun by the corn. Last weekend I counted the green tomatoes and was sure one or two would be ripe this weekend. However, to my horror I discovered that the “Green Tomato Bandit” has been at work and we’ll be lucky to get any tomatoes at all. (I feel more rewards coming on . . .)

And now I deem it officially the holiday season. Do you know that the Better Homes and Gardens “100 Days of Christmas” begins on September 16th? It’s time -- and probably past time -- to plan all that I want to accomplish before Halloween, before Thanksgiving, and before Christmas. I guess I should make a list . . . and get out the spicy autumn teas. KW



5 comments:

Hallie said...

Argh! The Green Tomato Bandit??? I believe I recall that the culprit must be Bess. Grr! I love, love puppies, but trained dogs sure are nice, too.

Kathy said...

We've never had a dog that cared for vegetables before, but Bess will eat anything that's edible -- green tomatoes, watermelon juice - anything.

Well, you just have to know when you have a puppy that there will be some accidents and destruction.

Chris said...

Hmm, I surmised it was Bess, but now I know for certain. Sorry about your tomatoes! I know how delicious home grown ones are! Our garden has only produced a few summer squash. I don't know what the world is coming to when even zucchini won't grow.

Kathy said...

Gardeners seem to notice a change all right. Bess picking the tomatoes is one thing, but after all, the tomatoes should have been ripe by now and they aren't. My zucchini plants were munched early on -- probably by deer.

I picked a few green beans for our supper. Too bad I forgot to put them on the table.

Good to have you home, Chris . . .

Chris said...

I totally forgot to say that I loved your romantic birthday conversation! Ah, those southern men--they just know how to make hearts go pitty-pat.