Wednesday, October 30, 2013

AUTUMN AT GILBERT: A CHANGE IN THE WEATHER (PART 2)



Sunday morning (Oct. 27) , as soon as the sun dispersed the fog, I was again at work outside. I filled our wheelbarrow with compost from my bin and spread it mostly on the raised beds. Then I mixed some spinach seed into the soil so that we might have an early spring crop. It worked last year, but if it doesn’t, nothing is lost for trying. It’s just old seed. After that I raked leaves and refilled the compost bin with leaves, wood chips, and more kitchen scraps.

Before lunch, Mike and I made a 4-wheeler trip over to the old Wright place on Miller Road. The house is gone now, but I never thought the location was such a great home site. However, here’s the beautiful view from the back of the house.

In the afternoon Mike went to his “barn gym” to work out. The dogs went along and played around the pond. Here they are watching me as I take pictures. (It's not a good picture but you get the idea.) In the morning they had been out for a hunt, so I rejoiced that they were well-exercised and wouldn’t want a walk. WRONG! Two pairs of sweet brown eyes stared at me as I prepared to start supper. So, all four of us went for a walk down the lane, and at the “pine-apple” tree we picked what apples remained. Back in the kitchen, I peeled and pared them for a big pie. It was getting colder and looking stormy.

In the early evening it rained a little. Then the wind commenced to blow – and blow it did, wrapping the house in howls and shrieks. EERIE! In fact, the wind howled all night long, and it was cold! I hadn’t anticipated the need for another blanket on our bed, and we were both cold. Mike said he kept trying to pull up the quilt, which was already covering us.

Monday morning I replanted the daffodil bulbs one more time. It wasn’t easy – the wind was still blowing and gusting. Then I packed for the return to town. Mike turned the Dakota around to facilitate loading because of the wind. KW


4 comments:

Chris said...

You don't need a NordicTrak with all you do!

Kathy said...

Mike exercises rigorously so that he can continue to work and play. I call my work exercise. But -- consistency is key. Exercising everyday for whatever time is essential. This rule also applies to prayer - perhaps to any good thing in which we would succeed. Practice makes perfect. But then -- I'm talking to the choir.

Hallie said...

Were you replanting one more time because of Bess' digging?

Kathy said...

Yes -- she seemed to target just one or two of my groupings. However, the soil is dense and heavy, as you know, and her digging was cultivating the soil. Perhaps it will be a favor in the long run. She didn't hurt the bulbs.

If only we could get her to dig where and when we needed it!