Monday, October 14, 2013

VINTAGE HALLOWEEN



 It’s a beautiful autumn day today, but kinda chilly. It was 33 when we got up, so if it didn’t freeze here, it froze someplace near. We had our first fire in our little stove last night, and this morning we turned the furnace on for a while. Mike and Ken took the dogs and went hunting, while I headed into town. Everything autumn at Jo-Ann’s is priced to clear while the aisles fill with tantalizing Christmas goodies.

My mother decorated for Christmas, but Halloween? – not so much. Oh, we might buy a few cardboard shapes at the drug store and put them in the front windows to show our sincerity, but that was about it. Of course, Mother marched from one Christmas straight to the next, and while she paid more attention to Thanksgiving than Halloween, during the autumn months she was still busy getting ready for Christmas. At our house we were focused on Christmas.
 
However, to be even-handed about this, back in the day of my childhood, I don’t remember that pumpkins and other autumn/Halloween symbols were as prevalent and promoted as they are today, but then, that might just be because I lived with Mr. and Mrs. Claus. Halloween was just a day on the way to other autumn / winter holiday events. I don’t remember strings of Halloween lights available until the ‘70s. And now, of course, I don’t need to tell you that imaginative decorative items abound, from the ready-made to fabrics and patterns so that you can create your own home dec accents.

Whatever decorations Mother had she kept, and that’s why I have these cardboard “faces” with vintage appeal. My guess is that they came from an era that pre-dated me, but on the other hand, they could have been retro images in the ‘60s. On the back of each is written “25,” which undoubtedly means they each cost 25 cents whenever they were purchased. In teeny-tiny print on each face is the name H. E. Luhrs, and researching that, I discovered some interesting history of Halloween decorative items in the U.S., which you can read here if you like. Apparently the Beistle Company has produced Halloween decorative items for well more than 100 years. Who knew? Not me.
And here’s a simple Halloween decoration I made today from an idea I saw at BHG.com. I purchased the embroidery hoop at Jo-Ann and Mike sprayed it black. Then I tightened a piece of netting with web design into the hoop. Completing the design are two black plastic spiders purchased on a single card at the Dollar Tree. KW

7 comments:

Chris said...

I just don't remember people decorating for Halloween when I was growing up. Carving pumpkins and dressing up on the 31st, but that was all. I think we might have made construction paper pumpkins to decorate bulletin boards at school, but that was probably more to keep us busy. It sure is a big deal now.

Chris said...

And I forgot to mention that your hoop project is just too cute!! Do they really have net with the spider webs already woven in?? Amazing!

Kathy said...

I'm glad you confirm my Halloween memories, Chris.

I had seen the spider web netting at Jo-Ann's and wondered what on earth one would do with it. When I saw the spider web hoop project, I knew I had to have some.

Hallie said...

I wouldn't decorate a TON for Halloween, but I think I would do some. I don't particularly like dressing up, but I like pumkins and I enjoy the trick or treaters. When I lived in a house in Montana, I made the kids give a strong shout of "TRICK OR TREAT" before they got candy. You can't just show up and expect it--you have to work for it. :)

Interesting about the decorator guy. I had forgotten about the honeycomb tissue that they mention in the article. I always liked the way those deocations sound as you pull them open.

Hallie said...

P.S. I agree that the spider web decoration is MOST clever! How nice of Dad to help!

Kathy said...

Mike was happy to paint the hoop, and true to form, he had it done in a jiffy. I think an even larger hoop would be better, but I couldn't find one in my town. It's an effective -- and affordable -- project.

When I was a "trick-or-treatster," we called out "trick or treat," but "thank you" was a problem for me. My mother stood back on the sidewalk and coached me. Something in my rebellious nature didn't understand why I should say "thank you" when I was threatening to trick if they didn't treat!

I have a vintage honeycomb pumpkin but left it at the farm. Nice to know those vintage die-cut decorations are still available. I found some on Amazon.

M/W said...

Hallie, I don't recall whether you liked dressing up or not but you were an awesome trick or treater. You really hauled in the loot.