Thursday, November 16, 2017

A FINE DAY



This promises to be a fine day. We’ve had a really lovely mild fall so far. The lawn and lot are as green as spring and fall grain coloring the hills beautifully. – Ina Dobson (Nov. 21, 1934)

Monday in town -- sun's reflection to the north at sunset
I’ve been busy the last few days. Monday I organized my embroidery supplies, and Tuesday I packed up my new Brother PE-770 embroidery machine and the aforesaid supplies, loaded them into the car, and drove the 30 miles north to visit my friend, Chris, who is my machine embroidery mentor. But – more about that in the next post.

Farm -- to the south
Yesterday, (Wednesday, Nov. 15), Mike and I loaded the dogs into the back of the Dakota and headed for the farm, towing the old trailer and pond boat. Such travel makes me nervous, but we did it, and now the boat and the trailer are back where they belong -- and that's a good thing.

It was 38 outside and 45 in the farmhouse when we arrived about 9:30. Mike had laid wood for a good fire before we left last time, but we opted not to burn it since our stay would be short. Instead we turned on the wall furnace. We both gathered things we wanted to take to town, and then Mike and Bess hiked to the north. They didn’t see a single game bird and only one white-tail.

Distant snow
Although we accomplished what we had planned, the whole trip felt a little lackluster. I didn't find the landscape as beautiful a Grandma Ina described it, and I left there knowing that I still have a lot to do. I carried Halloween decorations to the spare bed, which means they still need to be put away. And the garden, now long past, needs to be winterized. But, oh well – some years it just doesn’t happen and I take care of it in the spring. The maple tree has lost its leaves and while many remain on the ground, it was obvious that the wind has carried many more away.

To the north
We left soon after lunch. The clouds had given way to sunshine and the trip along the Clearwater River was beautiful with the trees glowing gold in the sun’s light. We didn’t stop to take pictures, though. Once we were back at the town house, Mike hopped on his bicycle for an exercise ride and I walked the dogs. Mike came back complaining about the early darkness.

Let’s visit again soon. KW

2 comments:

Hallie said...

The grass looks like it would be fairly green under those leaves. A sunny day would surely make all the surroundings seem more vibrant.

Kathy said...

Ina did love a sunny day. "A dull day," she would say if clouds hid the sun.