Friday, November 3, 2017

MUSINGS ON MUGS



Just a few of our many mugs. More reside at the farmhouse.

Our Halloween decorations are mostly put away, and now I’m setting out Thanksgiving. We hear reports of snow in the Cascades. A cheery pinewood fire perks away in the little stove. I’m in a holiday mood and preparing my advent story for this blog. But that’s still a month away.

Daughter Hallie took a mug from the cupboard – one that happened to be hers in childhood – and said, “There are so many cute mugs out there. It’s time for you to replace yours. This one could go to Goodwill.” Surprised as I was by her comment, I suppose it’s telling that my immediate thought was, “Goodwill doesn’t want it.” I have seen the mugs that come into the rummage sale – all faded and stained and chipped. Nobody wants to buy a used mug. And nobody wants to pay for an item that was a freebie in the first place!

Hallie’s observation prompted me to take a hard look at the mugs in my cupboard and where they came from:
·       Dodge (my favorite) – a freebie when we bought the Magnum 10 years ago
·       Putnam – a freebie from our broker
·       Mac’s Cycle (2) – freebies from a place “we” do business
·       Starbuck’s (several) – generous gifts from a family member (and some of the nicest we own)
·       State of Idaho – to thank me for five years of service
·       “One Mother’s Story – I used to have a handle on life but then it fell off” (I don’t need the constant reminder.)
·       “I’ll straighten up tomorrow” (I’m still waiting.)
·        Boy Scouts – 2

Recent acquisitions
Well, you get the picture – mostly a hodgepodge of joke gifts and freebies.

After the initial shock of learning that it’s not good enough to have familiar old mugs in my cupboard, I asked the pertinent question: “Where does one find cute mugs?” As you might expect, the answer was vague. Now I’m conflicted. Should I be on a mission to replace old mugs with new? Should I replace old freebies with new freebies? Should I buy a set of matching mugs (maybe Lenox)? And – does it really matter? (Mike would say no; he loves a useful freebie.)

Gifts from friends
Of course, people today use thermal mugs, and we have those, too, but most of them just don’t work for us for one reason or another, so there they are, taking up space on the top shelf of the cupboard. And maybe this is true for many of us. As a case in point, Yancey left one behind last summer, and knowing that he would visit in October, we just held it for him. He was so pleased to be reunited with it. He said he had more at home, but for a reason I can’t recall, this was the only one that works well for him.

What kind of mugs do you have in your cupboard? What’s your favorite? Where would you shop for a new one? KW 

[Photo #2: I ordered the autumn mug from Celestial Seasonings and bought the glass one at Walmart. The one on the right with chukars on it was a gift to Mike from his hunting buddy Ken.]

4 comments:

Chris said...

Hmmm... I go through mug stages. Mugs I used years ago are either gone or stashed away in the basement (once in a while I get nostalgic and retrieve). Right now I'm into big mugs that will hold the largest amount Keurig dispenses and my creamer. I cycle through five or six mugs through the week. I change out all the mugs for Christmas though, and love that. I really like your new glass one from Walmart!

Chris said...

Oh, and as to where to buy? Several of mine came from kitchen shops, a couple more from Pier 1, and some were gifts.

Hallie said...

I'm not sure I said that you should replace yours, but maybe that you COULD. The context of the comment being that we have recently seen many cute mugs but don't have a great need for more. But, if I knew someone who was in the market for cute mugs I could send photos when I come upon them and then delight in the purchase.

The local nursery has cute mugs and sometimes we wander into a random boutique shop that will have something unique that catches the eye. Mugs need not be rushed...let your heart be open and they will show themselves to you.

Kathy said...

Already these comments suggest a plan:
1) Get rid of those I no longer want.
2) Store those I'm tired of but might want to see again.
3) Now I have room on the shelf to add the occasional new one.

Actually, I just came to the same conclusion with my fabric stash.

And Chris, I didn't mention it in the post, which was already long enough, but I too enjoy a collection of Christmas mugs. I have a collection of Santa mugs from childhood, and those come out, but I don't use them.