Thursday, November 9, 2017

NOVEMBER 1934 -- PART 1 (WHAT INA SAID)



It was Wednesday evening, November 21, 1934, and my grandmother Ina was penning a letter to her son Vance. At 30, Vance is a starving piano teacher in Raymond, Washington, and her letter reveals her concern for his health and welfare. She also mentions her daughter Myrtle who is 40, unmarried, and also struggling with health and poverty. Her youngest child, daughter Shirley, 24, is visiting in Idaho Falls under the watchful eye of Ina’s elder son Earle. The purpose of the visit seems to be a change of scene for Shirley and also the hope that she can find an opportunity away from the family farm.

Ina just turned 64 on November 7. Her husband Jack is 70. This letter speaks volumes about a mother’s care for her struggling adult children, but I also sense an undercurrent of concern regarding her own future.  

Perhaps Ina was sitting “before the blazing fire” in her living room as she wrote, or maybe she was sitting at the dining room table enjoying light and heat from the kerosene lamp. At any rate, this evening, Ina has things to say to Vance, obviously hoping to provide positive influence regarding his health and circumstances. “Poor son. You never have any real rest. You and Myrtle need to spend a winter in the south on the beach. You have low blood pressure, I’m sure. It causes you to feel so depressed and lack of sleep, too. No use to talk, though. Yes, I’m doing fine. Trying to realize God as ever-present and caring for me and mine. Trying to leave my worries with Him.

Bertha behind June; Ina behind Jack
“Strange as it sounds, I seem not to get so tired since Shirley is away. I guess we were doing a lot more while she was here. Of course, the work isn’t hard, but I can do a pretty good day’s work and not get fagged. I don’t get lonesome much either with letters that I receive and write and re-read. We’ve not been alone a Sunday since Shirley left. We went to June’s [her sister and brother-in-law] last Sunday and had fried chicken and lots of other things and a good visit. Well, it is nearly 8:00 p.m. I’m going to read a story to put me to sleep and finish this tomorrow.”

In the morning, Ina takes up the letter again.
“Well, good morning, Son! This promises to be a fine day. We’ve had a really lovely mild fall so far. The lawn and lot are as green as spring and fall grain coloring the hills beautifully.”

After admonishing Vance once again regarding his health, Ina adds a final word about herself: “Don’t worry over my being here alone. Beloved, I’m not alone with such a circle of children to think of and to think of me. Really I’m getting along just fine, and Dad seems to be, too. He’s plowing and I have no complaints. He’s gaining some in weight and pep, too.”

[Ina also mentions that Dorothy and Fairly Walrath, who live in Centerville, Tennessee, have a baby daughter (Joni) born Nov. 10. Dorothy would be widowed in 1945 and marry Vance in 1947 -- and they are my parents.] KW

1 comment:

Chris said...

You are so fortunate to have the letters! I found a few going through mom and dad's stuff, but not many except for a series of letters Granny's mother wrote to her in the mid '40's when they no longer lived in the same town.