Sunday, February 11, 2018

A REAL OUTING

Farmhouse at Gilbert
We've had a week of moderate temps but gray days. However, yesterday (Saturday, Feb. 10) was sunny and bright -- I mean, a really beautiful (although cold) pre-spring day. Mike's thoughts have already turned to spring yard duties, and once again he mentioned that he needed the sprayer from the farm.

The northerly view



"It's a nice day. Let's just go get it," I said. And we decided that could work.

Woodshed
So, we finished our Saturday chores -- I changed the bed and put a chukar in the crockpot, and he pruned the ornamental cherry tree -- and after lunch we headed up the Clearwater River. The river is high because of run-off. At Orofino's Riverside, we noted that a Family Dollar has opened in the building vacated by King's Discount. Gilbert Grade was muddy and full of potholes. The rills were running with water. The rock wall near the top, shaded from the sun's warmth, was covered with lacy icicles.

Daffodils appearing -- even there!
It was 38 by the pick-up's thermometer as we made our way across the top to the farm. The thermometer on the back porch read 32. It was bright but cold. Of course, it wasn't warm in the house either. The house was fine, and I found only one mouse in trap. But, you know, it's not really pleasant being there when the house is winterized and time is short. I unloaded the crate of items I brought and reloaded it with food from the pantry cupboard and a few things for the P.E.O. rummage sale. I also packed my fabric "charm packs" (mostly 5-inch squares of fabric) because I want to make some small quilts. Mike spent his time outside, checking the grounds and loading the sprayer and the pre-emergence sterilent in the hopes that he can kill the weeds before he sees them. 

Maple tree
Barn
And -- I went outside and took pictures with my phone. Isn't that crazy? Everyone knows that by definition a phone is for talking with others in absentia, not for pictures. I seldom use my iPhone as a camera, but evidently it's my lot in life that before I can move forward this year, I have to deal with technology issues -- first my laptop and now the camera. I've misplaced the charging cord for the camera, so I have one on order and also battery replacements. Hope that solves the problem.


We left the farm at 3:00, which meant we had to face the sun en route. We were home by 4:30. Having experienced a change in routine, the dogs were restless, apparently not understanding that the trip to the farm WAS their afternoon outing. KW


3 comments:

Chris said...

Yes, it's been cold but beautiful these past few days. But if we can believe the weatherman, we're in for some snow tomorrow night. We'll see!!

Hallie said...

Spring! I yearn for thee. It will be here before I know it. I have planting and garden experimenting goals that I hope don't pass me by. The day trip to the farm sounds lovely.

Kathy said...

My gardening goals pass me by every year. I think it's because the spring has been cold and rainy. But this year I plan to make some changes at the farm. We'll see what happens.