Friday, February 2, 2018

A TRYING WEEK

I took my beautiful new Acer laptop to a computer shop for set-up. I was upfront about the state of my old Toshiba. They were upfront about being very busy. 

I must say, with some embarrassment, that I have been lost without my computer. My spirituality study (for lack of a better name), my connection with family and friends (except Mike, of course), my writing (and written materials), my patterns and embroidery designs, my pictures, my shopping -- as well as those wonderful in-between things -- are all on my computer. Mike said this day would come, and it has. I was bereft without my laptop.

And it isn't over yet. I picked it up last night just before 5:00. Long story short, my documents and pictures were in OneDrive under Mike's email address. (Yeah -- I don't know how that happened.) And for some reason, they are unable to correct this so that I have a clear path to my library (-- layman's terms). I will have another session with our tech on Monday. (I wish my tech were my daughter, who more clearly understands what I need than I do. I've had enough!)

But -- tonight I write to you from my new Acer laptop, and it feels sorta good, though if I had my druthers, I'd rather still be using my Toshiba -- when it was well, of course.

Mike and I went to see the much lauded movie, The Shape of Water, last Sunday night. The best thing about having seen it is that we know what everybody's talking about. A son saw it and said he couldn't recommend it to his mother because of a couple of raunchy scenes. Well, I just hid my eyes during those. And there were heavy-handed villains who created violence. We went to the 6:45 showing. There were four of us in the theater.

3 comments:

Chuck said...

Have you found a cure for the path to your library? By the picture you paint of the movie does not make me desirous to go out of my way to see it. Will my life be altered forever if I don't see it?

Kathy said...

My tech actually left me with a path, but it wasn't just right. He will fix it for me on Monday. But -- I was pleased to see that I can access my picture file from Blogger. In fact, I'm getting along just fine.

The Shape of Water is not a bad movie, but as my personal reviewer said, it probably would have been a good movie without its offensive aspects. And just as that person was reluctant to recommend it to me, I would be reluctant to recommend it to you. No, your life will not be altered if you don't see it.

Chris said...

Ah, our dependence on a machine that didn't even exist not that long ago. It's amazing how we have no idea how much a part of our lives it is until we don't have one or it doesn't work. Sometimes I really wonder if I should go cold turkey and reclaim parts of my life. But in so many ways, it's so very helpful... Hopefully you'll be all set by this evening.