Monday, February 5, 2018

WONDERFUL THINGS


Bess & Nell
The computer tech called promptly at 10:30 this morning as arranged. Working remotely on my Acer, he eventually found that my profile had become corrupt, and it took him several hours to correct the problem. And don’t question me about this because that’s all I know. Now I’m to use the computer and let him know if I have trouble. Yay! I can now play with my new toy, which is pretty much like my old toy – just better.


As brother Chuck observed last night, I haven’t posted much recently, and of course, we all know the reason. The laptop was down, and beyond that, when things aren’t right, the muse goes away.

Bess & Nellie
And yes, it’s food for thought that we seem to be lost without our devices, and when they go away, we’re worse off than before we had them. But, they are wonderful, aren’t they? Even 20 years ago, it you had told me that I would have my own computer and what I’d be able to do with it, I wouldn’t have believed you. When the personal computer concept began to appear in what seems like recent history to me, I couldn’t imagine what I would be able to do for the price of connection to a server. And – it’s both good and bad.

Mild but windy in the 'hood
And as Chris suggested, I, too, wonder if I should go “cold turkey” and get my old life back, but . . . my computer literally makes possible some wonderful things that I would not have without it. I say again – WONDERFUL THINGS! KW



[Formatting is not great here. I'm now using Libre, a free program, instead of Word. I'm not impressed with the paste into Blogger. (I wasn't really impressed even with Word.) Well, I'll get it worked out.]

3 comments:

Chuck said...

I'm glad you have your "tools" back in use. A few months ago, I went with Paul to Keri's house. On the way up, I discovered I had not transferred my pocket stuff from my church clothes to my travel clothes. That meant I had no wallet, no credit cards, no driver's license--no nothing. I was stranded at Keri's. The feeling was that of great loss. I couldn't pick up my new car, get a sandwich--I was stranded. I went to work with Keri, and spent the day with her, while Joanne put my life into a box and shipped it to me next day service. It got there the next morning, and I got my life back. It's much the same when my computer goes down. We just don't realize how much we depend on them for our every day activities.

How did your profile get corrupted on the new computer? Glad you are back up and running.

Chris said...

Yay!! (And on a side note, I did all my composing on blogger and never used Word.)

Kathy said...

And Chuck, you didn't mention your "phone," but I know that in addition to those other essentials, you didn't have your phone. These things happen.

I don't know why my profile was corrupt. I asked, but the tech only said that he thought it happened as a matter of course with all the updating that happened to that old machine.

Hi Chris! I may indeed have to compose in Blogger. I just feel more relaxed about writing on my worksheet. Also, Blogger provides few options for fonts and font sizes. Initially I was keeping a copy of my little essays, but I eventually gave that up.