Sunday, May 6, 2018

RUMMAGE SALE TIME AGAIN

Rummage Sale
The sisters of Chapter BL, P.E.O., truly enjoy working together to put on our annual rummage sale, a fundraiser to benefit grants and scholarships for women.

As we set up on Friday, we enjoyed the privilege of shopping the advanced sale. In the past, I've come home with a lot of loot -- er -- goods. It seemed like this year I just didn't find much that I couldn't leave behind, but when I set them out for the photo, it was more than I thought, including -- a yard of Riley Blake fabric, a Halloween mug, a Spode trivet, the vintage snowman lighted Christmas decoration, and the Santa ornament. Oh! -- and someone saved two dozen jelly jars for me -- SCORE!

Isn't it silly to feel excited over jars? A dear elderly friend complained about the cost of jars and insisted that her jars be returned, and I certainly remember that back in the day when we gave a gift of preserves, the return of the jar was more or less expected. But in the scheme of things, jelly jars don't cost that much. I bought two dozen at half price at Albertson's last fall. But -- since we give our jellies as gifts -- the jar with the contents -- it's more a matter of keeping them on hand.

Rummage sale finds
And speaking of jelly, someone told me the chokecherries are blooming beautifully this year. They don't always, you know. I only saw chokecherries one year, and then I was afraid to use them because I wasn't sure I had identified them correctly. Before we know it late June will be here and the serviceberries will be ready.

One P.E.O. sister asked for the donation of yarn for an informal group that meets once a week to crochet hats, scarves, and afghans for the homeless. I was happy for the opportunity to share my stash. I went through two full storage tubs and pulled out partial skeins, some having been on hand for years. I kept thinking I would use it, but somehow it never happened. It felt good to donate to a worthy cause and to free up space -- for what? More yarn, of course. 

Daffodils are gone; iris are blooming
So, the rummage sale is over now. We didn't have as much as in previous years. Interestingly, some of the nicer stuff didn't sell. For instance, in the end we had several "like new" Crockpots, Corningware casseroles, a set of eight Mikasa mugs, two punch bowls, and two sets of vintage snack plates. Prior to the sale, one of our members took antique glassware to one of the dealers in town and was advised not to price it too high because it just doesn't sell. Yes -- no one wants these things we treasured as family heirlooms. We talk about it every year.

It didn't take us long to box and bag when the sale was over. Three pick-up loads were carted off to thrift stores. And that was that -- at least for another year. KW





1 comment:

Chris said...

You scored some good things! I finally got the boys' room all sorted and actually have space to spare.