Wednesday, May 9, 2018

THE GREAT FLOOD OF ’18, PART 5



A beautiful spring day at Gilbert, Idaho


Mike and I loaded the dogs, our lunch, a few empty crates, and headed to the farm. We were there by 9:00. The grass was wet when we arrived, but by the time Mike was ready to mow, it was dry enough.

Our work crew will start on Thursday, so Mike called and had our internet turned on for their benefit. Apparently connected devices are now important to the work.

Rhubarb -- ready to pick again
Old pear tree in bloom
While Mike mowed, I worked in the house. In the vintage sewing room I packed up fabric, yarn, thread, etc., and cleared off the ironing board so that space could be maximized in that room. I gathered up magazines for recycling, and into the remaining crates I packed food from the cupboards. Some of it was so outdated as to be embarrassing, so I’m calling this venture “The Big Start Over.”

Mike and I both noticed the humidity in the house. A clean folded towel on the table felt damp, and I gathered up more textiles to be washed and stored in town.

Snow on the distant mountains
Round and round he goes
When Mike finished mowing – it takes several hours – we sat on the front steps and ate a snack lunch. It was a lovely day and the forecast was for rain tomorrow, so Mike wanted to head right back to town for an afternoon bike ride. That happened, and if you think that was quite a lot for him to do, after the bike ride, he washed windows – interior and exterior – though he didn’t quite have time to finish.

The view toward Plank's
And of course, I had all that stuff to unload, sort, wash, dispose of, store, etc. I hated to take it on just now, since I have other pressing housework this week, but it had to be done. Thank goodness for that little storage shed, and it probably doesn’t surprise you that the time has come to get rid of stuff out there, too.
Bess is napping

Nellie and Bess always enjoy time at the farm. They roamed for several hours, and then Nellie retired to her pillow in the living room while Bess sacked out in the back of the pick-up. They are both tired today as well.

It was a lovely day at the farm, and we wished could stay. KW

6 comments:

Chuck said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. Wish I could have been there to enjoy it with you.

Hallie said...

The pick-up is Bess' den. Very cute.

It will be good to go up and inspect the work this weekend. I wonder if they'll setup dehumidifiers or fans after they've done the demo.

Hallie said...

P.S. That's demolition, not demonstration. :)

Kathy said...

I wish you could have been there, too, Chuck. You would have enjoyed it.

Hallie, I had to laugh because it took me a long time to figure out that "demo" in your world means demolish, not demonstrate. Actually, Big Mike explained what they'll do, but true to form, I can't remember. I only remember that the house will be sealed for a two-week period when they respectfully request that we not enter.

Hallie said...

In my world "demo" means both demolition and demonstration depending upon context. It's more likely that "demo" at home is a demolition and "demo" at work is a demonstration.

Chris said...

As fans of Fixer Upper, we are prone to read that word with its demolition meaning. We've shouted, "It's demo day!" more than once around here. :-)