Saturday, September 1, 2018

BACK TO GILBERT


A southerly view toward Cottonwood Butte
We had just been to the farm on Tuesday, and you’d think that would hold us for a while, but we received word that our contractor would meet with a third-party consultant (ordered by the insurance adjuster) at the farmhouse Friday morning to discuss costs. We didn’t have to be there, but we both feel it’s a matter of showing interest. Mike said we would leave town directly after yoga (we’re addicted to yoga now), so the dogs napped in the back of the pick-up while we stretched at the park.

We were the first party to arrive at the farm, but the contractor and the consultant appeared shortly, and it was soon apparent that they didn’t need us. As discussion ensued between the two of them, I moved off to water and Mike continued sharpening the lawnmower blade. We didn’t want to be in the way, or worse, to interfere.

The Farmhouse -- post-harvest, 2018
It just feels strange to totally turn my home over to someone else. I appreciate that our contractor expects to negotiate for us – I certainly don’t want to do it – but I’m ready for it to be over and to have my house – and my things – back. The work is slow for a couple of reasons: 1) the remote location, and 2) we have another place we can live. “Oh, this is a second home,” they say, and it’s just natural to put it on the back burner. And then -- they are just plain arguing over the costs.

Another view to the south
The weather has changed, reminding me that school has started and county fairs will soon convene. I’ll soon exchange Americana for pumpkins and witches on my display stand. I wanted to bring some of my decorative Halloween items to town from the farm. I know where they are. I could see them, but no way could I get to them. Fortunately, I have things in town as well – and if I didn’t, oh well!

Mike and I didn’t linger once we’d finished our work. Before we left, I picked one small yellow summer squash which I fixed for supper. 

Oh! And if you missed it in the comments, the water stain in the upstairs hallway was just that -- a water stain. Big Mike the Contractor had pictures showing that it was there from the beginning of the project. KW

No comments: