Monday, September 17, 2018

LET'S GET ON WITH THIS



Ready for wallpaper and paint
Upon visiting the farmhouse on Tuesday, we realized that with completion of the mudding, the next steps would be paint and flooring. This was confirmed through a call to Big Mike the Contractor, so I listed the paint colors for each affected room. Then we went to Sherwin-Williams and confirmed that they can indeed mix those colors. What a relief! At least I don’t need to select new shades of white. We chose a green for the dining room that better blends with the new wallpaper. I think the interior will take on a lighter, more “whimsical” look, and that’s fine with me.

An ineffective close-up of the mudded wall
Then we visited Big Mike to submit our paint list and chose the flooring. Discussion ensued regarding the kitchen cabinets and other built-ins. The cabinet-maker has time right now and wants the work, but Big Mike hasn’t received the go-ahead from the insurance adjuster. In fact, the third-party negotiator who visited two weeks ago has not yet submitted his report.

I’ve been uncomfortable all along with the failure to openly discuss options. In discussion with my Mike at home, I opened with, “Who is responsible to pay for the cabinets – or any part of the project – if insurance doesn’t?” Obviously, we are, but this is never addressed. We just sit and wait as one week dissolves into the next. “Let’s get on with it,” I continued, “and get those cabinets made and installed so that we can once again live in our house.”

So, Thursday morning, my Mike called Big Mike, and the kitchen cabinets have been ordered. Yay!! KW

2 comments:

Chris said...

Yay for sure!! It will all work out and I'm so glad you're taking advantage of the cabinet makers open time. As you say, "Let's get on with this!!!" Hooray, hooray!

Hallie said...

Way to make it happen!