Sunday, November 11, 2018

WATER DEBACLE -- COMING OUT THE OTHER SIDE


“It’s just like they stepped out in the 1930s and didn't come back.”
Joni Walrath Nunan commenting on the Dobson farmhouse, c. 1990

Big Mike the Contractor called to say that the cabinets and flooring had been installed at the farmhouse, so yesterday (Saturday, Nov. 10), Mike and I drove up to take a look. I have made choices as we journeyed through this remodel, and I just didn’t know how it would all come together. I was nervous.

I approached the kitchen door with trepidation and gingerly peeked in. Oh! What joy! There it was – a mid-century kitchen. The configuration hasn’t changed from the previous, but the white cabinets look just right in this old house – a much lighter appearance, both in color and design. Right for the house – and right for me!

The water ruined the century-old white maple hardwood flooring in the dining and living rooms. Yes, too bad about that, but let’s move on. We were forever protecting it with rugs and runners and it was difficult to clean. Now we have the same flooring in all three rooms – and I love it!

And that green on the walls in the dining room pops against the white of the kitchen, reminding me of the Depression Era colors, a time period that is of special interest to me.

We all agreed that the cupboard doors in the hallway should remain oak, but the “beadboard” is a nice tie to the kitchen cabinets.




Upstairs, the pine floor of the master bedroom has been replaced with vinyl flooring, just like the main floor. Now it just remains to decide how to finish the boards of the new upstairs hallway.

So, what’s left?
Finishing the upstairs hallway floor
Baseboard and wood trim throughout
Kitchen countertops
Replacing kitchen appliances
Dining room wallpaper
Repairing the fireplace hearth

And then – putting the furniture back and moving in. KW


5 comments:

Chris said...

Ahh!! I love, love, love the kitchen cabinets!! My favorite style, and I love the dark pulls. The floor looks wonderful, too. You say it's vinyl?

I still have hope you'll be there for Christmas!!

Chuck said...

The pictures look really great! You have made some great decisions in the replacement of what had to be removed. I,too, hope you might be in by Christmas. May the elements cooperate.

Kathy said...

Thank you, Chuck and Chris. Putting everything back is going to be a chore. As soon as I can, I hope to organize furniture and belongings so that it can happen quickly, but it's not time for that yet.

Kathy said...

Oh -- and yes, the flooring is vinyl planking.

Hallie said...

Looks amazing! The kitchen has a nice crispness to it.