Saturday, January 5, 2019

FARMHOUSE NEARS COMPLETION


Mike has been under the weather, so yesterday (Jan. 3), I went alone to our morning stretch class. Afterwards, we went to the farm. Mike is joining a pistol league at the shooting range this month and hoped to find some of his gear. It was time to check on things anyway.

The snow line was about halfway up the Gilbert Grade, and it might have been a little slick, but we were careful. We made it into the farm just fine – and back out, too! The painting crew was there applying final touches.

While we were there, the plumber arrived, bringing a new toilet for the master bathroom. The previous unit sat on the porch all summer, and the contractor said he preferred to install a new one rather than to replace parts. We had thought perhaps we could use the old one in the modular home, but as the crew tried to move it, it broke. I laughed. Let’s have a new one here, too.

In looking for his gear in the storage container, Mike found the shower head that the plumber was missing. We also found the kitchen and dining room switch plates, and the painter assigned one of his workers to cover those with the new wallpaper.


So, the farmhouse project is nearing completion. No word yet on when we’ll move into the finished house. I would probably wait until spring, but I expect the contractor will want to finish up if the weather cooperates. The whole house and everything in it will need to be cleaned, and I don't know how the timeline will fit with the weatherization, i.e., the water is now turned off and the pipes drained. Ideally, I would have a day or two to organize before they move boxes and furniture. KW


2 comments:

Chris said...

What a long process this has been! It looks like the end is closing in. I'm sorry you've had to go through it, but I know you'll enjoy all the new features like easier care floors and those beautiful cupboards that are a result.

Kathy said...

I'm sorry we had to go through it, too -- LOL. Dealing with insurance is never fun, and we had quite a battle over those cabinets. I always considered it my "Christmas house" -- shades of red, green, and brown -- and apples were the theme. but it's different now and that's a new way of thinking. Now it's strawberries (a different shade of red) and blueberries (a color that was missing in the "other" house), and a larger range of bright colors. It does lend itself to the Depression Era prints, which I like. Actually, I think Grandma Ina would be pleased.