CAVORTING WITH BEARS -- August 5
[I
read that bear sightings are more common these days as the bears lose habitat
to fires and seek to find relief from the heat. In fact, as Mike and I drove up
the Gilbert Grade on Saturday, a black bear lumbered across the road right in
front of us. This is the first time we’ve seen a bear on the grade, though we see them in this region from time to time.]
Postcard: At Fishing Bridge Camp
| Ina feeding cookies to a 2-year-old "brown bear" |
We left Jackson Lake camp after lunch yesterday and made this camp among the trees. Saw a bear in camp standing up being fed. Mother bear and cub in camp this A.M. The next move is to backtrack five miles and see Natural Bridge and Knotted Pines. Then on to Grand Canyon [of the Yellowstone]. We are getting awfully dirty. Bernice says the nighties will get up and walk off with a blanket on each arm. Getting hungry for home cooking.
| Shirley & the brown bear |
[Have you watched Hazardous History with Henry Winkler? This trip to Yellowstone in 1926 qualifies as “hazardous.” Never mind that the cars were anything but reliable and safe, did you see how close they stood to Old Faithful on Day 8? It’s not allowed today. And here we see them actually holding out treats for the bears to snatch. And Ina thinks it’s such fun!!! I’m surprised the bear didn’t swat her.
Here’s an overview regarding the evolution of the attitude toward bears at Yellowstone provided by Google:
“In
the 1920s, bears at Yellowstone National Park were not widely viewed as lethal
or terrifying apex predators but rather as entertaining, anthropomorphized
attractions. Park management actively encouraged tourists to feed black bears
and view nightly garbage-dump spectacles, treating minor bites and scratches as
a fun ‘souvenir’ rather than a severe safety hazard. Despite the
lighthearted public relations, both black bears and grizzlies remained powerful
wild animals, and serious or fatal attacks did occasionally happen at feeding
sites. The casual attitude toward bear safety eventually led to severe
habituation and rising conflict. The National Park Service phased out the dumps
and officially banned feeding by 1970.”
| Aunt Bernice & the "brown bear" |
In the mid-1950s, when I was about five years old, I went with my parents to visit Uncle Earle and Aunt Bernice in Idaho Falls. (Uncle Earle taught junior high manual arts and mathematics there for thirty years.) Uncle Earle drove us to Yellowstone Park, and I remember that we sat in a long line of cars on the road as the bears came along looking for handouts. Uncle Earle had brought a bag of candy, and as the bear approached our car, I tried to put one in its mouth. Alarmed, my dad was rolling up the window as fast as he could. KW]
I noticed how close they were to Old Faithful in a previous post. I thought how crazy that was. It's good we can't get close to it now. Although people try.
ReplyDeleteAnd just as crazy to get that close to the Bears. Especially a mama and cub! I also remember going to Yellowstone as a child and people feeding the bears. The long line of cars. We thought nothing of it then.
Hi Becky! I have a comparison of tourism a century ago with that of today ready for tomorrow's post. You can't just visit our national parks today. You have to research, know the rules, get reservations, etc. And while I agree that this is necessary, it has taken the fun out of it.
DeleteI think we used to see it as a fabulous natural playground. Now we have to preserve it for its ecological importance -- and this is the right thing to do.
I think Ina is wearing that black tie around her head in the photo. It looks like she's adorned it with sticks for some extra flare. Am I wrong? Who knew these surly looking people had such a sense of humor! I love these photos.
ReplyDeleteYes, Ina is still wearing the black tie. She always and forever wrapped her hair into a bun on top of her head. Lots of elderly women wore their hair that way when I was a girl. And I think you're correct that she has embellished the tie with something.
DeleteYes, they did have a sense of humor, and they set off to be tourists and have a good time -- not only to see Yellowstone but also to see southern Idaho which she had crossed in her youth. She enjoyed it until time began to weigh on her hands.