LEARN MORE

Monday, August 10, 2026

DAY 15 -- YELLOWSTONE TRIP 1926

 August 10, Missoula, MT

In her final postcard, Ina writes: We didn’t leave Anaconda until 12:30 P.M. Ate our lunch there and drove 117 miles. It was windy and cold, and we were in one hard shower. It has been cold ever since we left the Park. We wear our coats and sweaters and put the curtains on. We are trying to make it as far as Coeur d’Alene today. Spokane is over 200 miles away. We won’t get home till Thursday. I’m just wild when I stop to think of it. Hope we don’t have any more car trouble. In haste. Love, Momma

Vance plays with a dog
[Today, Interstate 90, a fast-moving four-lane highway, connects the 200 miles between Spokane and Missoula, but in 1926 it was an unpaved dirt and gravel trail. Ina hoped they would make it to Coeur d’Alene, but even that would have been ambitious. I know from the picture of Vance that they camped near Kellogg, Idaho, which means they traveled about 130 miles this day.]

 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...it must have warmed up since Grandpa has his sleeves rolled up. Does the picture say they camped there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it doesn't say they camped there, but Kellogg, Idaho, is 128 miles from Missoula. I just assumed it wouldn't have been a lunch stop and it's about as far as they can realistically travel in one day. I really don't have info about the last days of the trip -- just a couple of photos.

      Delete