Thursday, November 29, 2007

SHINY BRITES


I had always taken it for granted that everyone knew about “Shiny Brights,” those colored but otherwise plain tree balls so much a part of traditional Christmas tree ornaments. My mother called them by that term which I in turn taught my daughter. But a couple of years ago Hallie called to say she had been discussing tree ornaments with someone who knew nothing about “Shiny Brights.” I was unable to provide any information other than “that’s what we always called them and I thought that was what they were called.”

Well, when I opened the December 2007 issue of Country Living, there was the whole story. The trade name was “Shiny Brite” and they were manufactured from the late 1930s until the late 1960s, according to this article. Eventually the original manufacturer, Max Eckardt & Sons, joined forces with Corning Glass due to consumer demand.

There you have it . . . (KW)

2 comments:

Hallie said...

You can bet I'll be sending this blog address to everyone I know!!! :)

Kathy said...

Or -- you could just tell them about the Country Living article. . .