Saturday, December 8, 2007

CHRISTMAS 1933 -- MYRTLE WRITES TO VANCE


This Christmas of 1933, Vance set out from Raymond, Washington, to spend Christmas with the folks on the farm. He turned back for some reason and didn't make it clear to the awaiting family that he would not be coming. His sister Myrtle, however, did make it home, traveling to Lewiston from Portland on the train. She writes as follows on December 29, 1933:

“It’s a great treat to be at home and to have had Christmas here. . . Thursday a.m. we pulled down the blinds and had the tree. It was piled full at the foot, besides the table. A huge Xmas was had by all.

I got through in good time, the train was 5 hours late into Lewiston and we used all the tracks north and south bank, but still I got in in plenty of time to catch the stage to Orofino. Ed Ingram came for me and we had a hard time making it in from the highway. Six inches of snow on top of soft roads. There was a heavy mantle of snow over all the trees. I got a picture of the house, the snow began to go. But we will have more, I hope. We took pictures of the tree with all the presents, then yesterday took a picture of the wreckage for fun.”
I've seen those pictures, I thought to myself. And sure enough -- I've posted them for you. The tree sits where we now have the piano. Note the little black stool in the photo above. That now sits at the back door of the modular home.
Regarding Myrtle's visit, Jack writes: "Myrtle kept us interested in her chatter while she was here. We couldn't hear ourselves think at times.

No comments: