Monday, December 17, 2007

INA'S CHRISTMAS CARD ETIQUETTE, 1934

Well, “they say” you don’t have to answer a Xmas card -- see – till next Xmas. It is more in the nature of a gift, so to speak, tho I’ve always hated not to do so. My way is to get a supply of New Year cards; then if I’m caught a few lines on the card fixes it or the card alone, see! I sent Portfors a Xmas card this year and they hadn’t sent me one so Nina called me up and we had a nice chat. Dorothy and Fairly are fine. Dorothy weighs 116 pounds and feels better than for a long time, also never weighed that much before. Fairly now in the Forest Service work establishing look-outs. He was in the erosion work. Nina’s mother has been in Portland since August and had a cataract removed from her blind eye so now sees pretty well once more. She’s with Bessie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, I had to do some mind work with this entry!! My mind assumed Sara and Porky were the Portfors (they were the Portfors I knew), and that Nina was your sister (again the one I knew). Of course it was making no sense to me; then I realized the Portfors were your grandparents, and Nina was your grandmother. Had to move back a generation--or two!

Hallie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hallie said...

Ditto! I can't say that I recall that great-grandma's name was Nina. Off hand, I can't recall great-grandfather's name, either.

Funny what a small town it was! 116 is WAAAAAY too skinny, by the way.