Friday, December 14, 2007

INA'S CHRISTMAS REPORT, 1934



Jan. 13, 1935
Dear Son,
We are “as well as usual,” blessed phrase! The snow is about 15 inches deep and drifted. The trees are beautiful with it and we have magnificent effects at sunrise and set.

I got along just fine with my Xmas doings. “This is the first Christmas I ever spent without the voice of one of my children in the house.” But don’t let your heart sink at that thought. There were children to the right of me and children to the left of me, north, south, east and west, and though they didn’t “bay and thunder,” they charged the lonely Xmas idea with such skill and loyalty that is was dispelled as a visit before the sun. We had a lovely time, not only that day but beforehand.

The morning of Dec. 24, I made donuts for I must have fresh donuts for Xmas, and you know “do-nuts and coffee never hurt anyone.” That evening after all was cleared away, Dad popped two kettlefuls of lovely corn and we sugared one and put taffy over the other. We heaped a large platter with balls till Dad said, “Oh, that’s enough,” for he wanted some left to eat. Well, I sent him off to the living room to eat and read. Then I prepared my dressing and sweet potatoes for the morrow and put my buns to rise, for I’d baked lite bread and roasted beef too. At last I repaired to my seat before the fire with a pan of sugared corn, nuts and candy and filled eleven little Xmas boxes for the tree. Then I fell upon the boxes. Ethel’s was wrapped with green string and I cut this off to tie on packages, being foolish about green string for my tree packages . . . The packages were all so pretty and I had a great time hanging them on the tree and under it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's sure a lot more snow than we had this year!

-hw