Sunday, January 13, 2008

Guest Blog: Kathy's Child


I've been tossing this idea around. This crazy, hair-brained idea I've had since the beginning of summer. Okay, so I move slow. I FINALLY decided to paint my bathroom! With the expertise of my color savvy boyfriend I got my nerve up to choose a color and just do it. We decided that something in the green family would be nice--not too blue, not too gray, but something that would look good with the counters the tile and the floor.

As you can see (left), the original color was a very neutral beige. As we painted, it seemed that we were both going to like the new color. It was a warm green that would really set off the light wood of the cabinets. As the paint dried, however, I began to recognize the mistake. The disaster. The color we choose was too dark. It was too '70s. It was, in fact, avocado green. I know this color. This is the color of the wedding present toaster that WOULD NOT die that we used at home forever. ACK!

As you can see in the photo (right), we're back at the drawing board. For me, when things go wrong, I like to cover up in bed and resist facing the truth until I can muster enough strength to power through and make a new decision. Luckily, Nick has the ability to convince me it will all be okay if we just get it done. Stay tuned for the next Guest Blog: "Painting Adventure #2".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hallie,

I have the matching blender!!! It too will not die. :-( Have you thought about sage green?? Kind of like the green version of worn denim blue? My daughter Ann painted one of her bathrooms that color and it's beautiful.

This is precisely why I don't paint. Anything. Ever.

Aunt Chris

Kathy said...

This reminds me of the time we painted the kitchen of the house on 11th Avenue a nice mellow yellow. We awoke the next morning to a horrible scene -- chartreuse everywhere we looked. Are you painting all walls? Nick is right -- you'll feel better the sooner you get it fixed. So-o-o -- How do you refresh you house without paint, Chris?

Anonymous said...

Dan paints. :-) And have you noticed my walls are all light colored?

Kathy said...

All this puts me in mind of a funny letter from Uncle Earle to my dad in the late '40s providing advice on how to paint the farmhouse. At that time Daddy also painted over the finished woodwork in the dining/living rooms and Earle tells him how to do it. We stripped that paint off and the cabinetmaker refinished it for us. They said it's Pacific fir, close-grained (from old trees) and now quite rare.