Monday, January 21, 2008

HOT TIME IN THE OLD TOWN . . .

Today I have STRUGGLED to put a new zipper in an old jacket of Mike's. This is the third day I have worked on it. The first day, I ripped the old zipper out. The second day, I basted the placket and then the new zipper in place. Today I machine stitched only to discover my stitching was too close to the zipper teeth. The zipper wouldn't operate. I am now in the process of ripping it out again.

I tell you this only so you won't question what I have been doing. I did manage to shorten a pair of new Levis for Mike. And that's all I have accomplished today. (There are no pictures to illustrate this blog.) KW

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such ugly jobs!! Three cheers for you for doing them!!

Hallie said...

If this is the jacket that Dad boasts is 40 years old, I implore you to buy NEW!

That jacket would be terribly hard to fix without an industrial sewing machine.

Kathy said...

No -- it's not the 40-plus-year-old jacket. It's an L. L. Bean jacket. I think it's probably 15 years old. He says Yancey gave it to him. The tag says "made in USA." Today I was successful in re-stitching the zipper and all is well. However, it's a fact that my equipment and my skills are not equal to the original job. It really begs the question, Where is the place of conservatism in our lives? -- another blog coming on.