Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Guest Blog: Poor Hallie


My wrist has been stupid for nearly three years now. As you can see in the photo, I had a ganglion cyst that caused a certain amount of discomfort and limited my mobility. On Monday, I had surgery to have Per (that's his name: Per Cyst) removed. They gave me some loopy drugs that made me calm, but I was awake for the short 15 minute procedure. In my loopy condition I was very interested in what was going on.

"What color is it?"
"White."
"How big is it?"
"About the size of a pea; maybe bigger. Yeah, a little bigger than a pea."
"Oooooh, like a chick pea."
"Yeah! Like a chick pea."
Then they lifted me up so I could take a look at my opened wrist and the cyst peeking out. It was cool! I really had no interest in doing that before they gave me drugs.

My new wrist lives in a plaster splint until next Tuesday. I have to lift my arm funny to type (FYI: I type ALL day in my job) and my shoulder is very sore. I'm uncomfortable sleeping, my legs are hairy, and I have about 3 shirts that actually fit over the thing. *Cue the sympathy*

Sigh. I'll follow-up next week with a much brighter outlook, I promise.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Very interesting. Thanks for the photos. Sounds like a good excuse to get new shirts to me! I have been sewing this afternoon -- tackled that quilt. XO

Anonymous said...

Hi Hallie,

Hope you heal quickly!

Aunt Chris :-)

debdog42 said...

Hallie, At least you didn't get the old fashioned treatment-they used to whack them with a large book!!! OUCH!